Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drill stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I have a drill brand name 'casals' that stopped working. When I opened it found a type of diode with switch that was burned. Would like to know what this diode was so I can change it.
Thanks.

Drill model?
Any decipherable markings on the failed component?
Any good sharp close-up pics?

Mains operated version.
That most likely is a Universal (brushed) motor, I have never seen a diode on any of these before, be interesting to know the function of the diode in this case, are you sure it is in fact a diode?
Max.

That most likely is a Universal (brushed) motor, I have never seen a diode on any of these before, be interesting to know the function of the diode in this case, are you sure it is in fact a diode?
Max.
Don't know exactly if is a diode cause it's broken in two but looks like a diode.
The thing I don't know what type cause with burnt no codes are visible

Some devices that appear to be diodes are TVS Transient Voltage Suppression diodes, they are in fact two back to back.
Max.

If this is a variable speed drill the Universal type use a 'Dimmer' style control for this, there must be a little more electonics in there?
Max.

If this is a variable speed drill the Universal type use a 'Dimmer' style control for this, there must be a little more electonics in there?
Max.
Hi Max no this has no variable speed just two speeds hi low
Do you know of a part no for that TVS that you mentioned please?
Thanks

Perhaps the 'diode' is indeed a diode, either bypassed or providing half-wave rectification for a universal motor according to the speed selector position.

If it is a real cheapo it could be using the diode to run the motor on half-wave rectified mains voltage.

How about a photo. It would help.

Perhaps the 'diode' is indeed a diode, either bypassed or providing half-wave rectification for a universal motor according to the speed selector position.
If it is a real cheapo it could be using the diode to run the motor on half-wave rectified mains voltage.
My misuse's hair dryer goes from full wave rectification to half wave for the fan motor to go from max speed to half speed.

spec

You seem to misuse those the same way I do ;)
Yes, drying paint on car/electronic equipment, drying PCBs, drying adhesives, heating components to check for faults... :D

It is a rolls Royce, salon model too, but she never complains.

spec

Sounds to me like a rectifier diode that's used to halve the voltage for low speed. If it now runs only on high speed, then it's failed short.

I would replace it with the highest current diode that you can make fit in the space.

If your mains voltage is 120, use at least a 200 volt diode. If 240, use at least a 400 volt one. But I would probably choose a 800 or 1000V part as it's not going to be much more money and will be more immune to the transients coming off the motor brushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back