Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drift/Noise problems for an Instrumentation Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't need a fully differential amp. I'm not using one anymore. In my earlier post, I think I mentioned the phototransistor measures small motions in a lever arm. This displacement is porportional to the force exerted by the muscle over small displacements. The displacements have to be very small, because I want the msucle to be (approximately) isometric.

I actually have a force transducer that uses a photosensor as an analog device, although it operates a bit differently from what I'm doing. This is a commercial product that costs hundreds of dollars, so I'm trying to build a cheaper alternative for personal use.

A load cell/strain gauge would work, I admit, but as far as I can tell, there's no load cell small enough for my uses. I need to use a really tiny lever so that the force transducer can respond quickly to changes in force (hence, displacement), that's why I though an optical device would be a good idea. The magnitude of forces I'm talking about are from less than 1 g to about 20 g max. Things are working approximately, but I'm getting seven sorts of hell trying to work out the non-ideal problems =)

Fish said:
No, I don't need a fully differential amp. I'm not using one anymore. In my earlier post, I think I mentioned the phototransistor measures small motions in a lever arm. This displacement is porportional to the force exerted by the muscle over small displacements. The displacements have to be very small, because I want the msucle to be (approximately) isometric.

I actually have a force transducer that uses a photosensor as an analog device, although it operates a bit differently from what I'm doing. This is a commercial product that costs hundreds of dollars, so I'm trying to build a cheaper alternative for personal use.

A load cell/strain gauge would work, I admit, but as far as I can tell, there's no load cell small enough for my uses. I need to use a really tiny lever so that the force transducer can respond quickly to changes in force (hence, displacement), that's why I though an optical device would be a good idea. The magnitude of forces I'm talking about are from less than 1 g to about 20 g max. Things are working approximately, but I'm getting seven sorts of hell trying to work out the non-ideal problems =)

Yeah, there are load cells that will do that. Your best best might be to use a simple electronic scale- there are some that go down to 1 g or 0.1 g increments. If you want to remove the load cell from it, then you're in a case where you actually do need a differential amp or a differential ADC.

Now that I think about it, not that it's really my business, but what possible use is an isometric measurement of such a muscle? It doesn't say much about it effectiveness- if the tiedown points are totally immobile, I could tie a piece of string or wire between them and if the temp or humidity changes it could create many grams of force. But it can't lift anything over a significant distance so the number is irrelevant. Nichrome muscle wire doesn't act as a muscle because the force varies, it is a muscle because its length varies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back