Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drawing Waveforms or how to draw waveforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Banned
How do i draw Waveforms? which program will do this for me?

I need the oscilloscope gradules and divisions cubes in the background
and having a function to draw different waveforms?

What type of waveform i would like is different kinds of Waveshapes and waveshaping waveform how can i do this? do i need a drawing softwave program or does a electronic drafting program do this?

Waveshaping and Envelople waveform drawing how can i do this please?

Do you have matlab? You could probably write a simple program that would format the plots to have these lines.

Yea but how would i draw or preset the waveshapes? or envelopes waveforms ?

Because drawing simple Sine,Triangle,Square are easy but im looking to draw or have a program generate different waveshapes and different enveloples of waveforms

What electronic drafting program does this please?

Can MATLAB generate waveforms of different waveshapes on the oscilloscope so i can Print out the oscilloscope with different waveshapes and duty cycles,pulse widths, time constants,periods and oscilloscope time per division settings on them?

It'll just take quite a bit of extra drawing of lines and labels and such on the plots.

I'm not sure if there is a triangle function. but I know it can generate sine waves. You'll probably just have to do some calculations to come up with a function that matlab can plot.

Do you have access to the simulink toolbox?

walters said:
How do i draw Waveforms?
If I had two seconds to answer the question, it would be to turn a letter S sideways.

But I have a question. Why do you want to draw a waveform?

I need to dram waveshapes and envelopes of waveforms because i need to practive with my teacher how to measure different waveshapes and enevelopes of waveforms so if i have a database of different waveshapes and enveloples of waveforms 1-100 different types and looks i can measure the periods,duty cycles,pulse widths, time constants, 10-90% perecentages,rise time and fall times
if i could print out the oscilloscope time and voltage per divisions gradules with different waveshapes and envelopes of waveforms i can practice measuring these things please help me which programs or drafing tools can i use to this stuff on ?

Electronic Softwave programs:
Most function generators just have sine,pulse,triangle,square i can only practice on this i hook it up to the oscilloscope i can Print out the oscilloscope with a Sine wave or triangle wave, square wave and print those out with the gradules and measure on paper after i print them out
and it will be a bunch of paper with different sine waves , triangle waves and square waves and then i can measure the duty cycle, pulse width , rise and fall times, time constants

But i need something to do different waveshapes so i can measure this stuff and print them out

The function generator can't output different waveshapes with different Shapes, different Slopes, Different Curves this is my problem but if it did then i can hook it out to the oscilloscope and then just print these different Looking wave Slopes, wave curves, wave shapes printing them out with oscilloscope gradules and divisions

Nigel, he needs paper and a ruler as well.

I need to dram waveshapes and...

and maybe some dynamic ram :lol: j/k

lol

yup square paper is still widly used these days

short of that depends on how complex the waveform.
IF it is a simple SINE-wave/triagle wave... then Excel
a bit more complex then Matlab/Octave
more complex still Maple
more complex then a scope with a floppy drive

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,632
Thanks for the picture

My problem is how to get different Slopes,Curves,Envelopes,Shapes?
this is my problem because i don't even know what they would look like to even draw them on square paper because there is so many ways to do this. But in service manuals i have seen a bunch of different slopes,curves,envelopes,shapes where does theses engineers get these pictures or know how to draw them? what circuits produces different slopes,curves,envelopes,shapes?

Is there a hyperlink site that shows pictures of different slopes,curves,envelopes,shapes of waveforms?

Is there a electronics drafting program that can produces different slopes,curves,enveloples,shapes of waveforms?

My problem is that i don't even know what different slopes,curves,envelopes,shapes of waveforms look like so how can i draw them in the first place i need a "special circuit" that hooks up to the function generator that takes a

sine,triangle,square>>>>"special circuit">>>gets different slopes,curves
Envelopes,shapes waveform

>>>>hooks up to the oscilloscope>>>prints out the paper with different
slopes,curves,waveform shapes

In most services manuals at a electronic job for testing they have the outputs of the product and (tp) points test points which have different waveshapes,slopes,curves and what the tech. to test the duty cycles,pulse width,rise time, fall time,time constant, 10-90 percentages
i need to practice but i need to get alot of different type and looks of waveforms printed out with oscilloscope gradules and divisions please help

Have you considered a pencil?,

Yes i have a pencil and square paper where do i start to get different waveshapes,envelopes,slopes,curves how do i start? i don't even know what they could even look like do u see my problem? its like im blind i need a circuit to do this for me

Do you understand the mathematics behind what you're trying to accomplish? Because if you did then there is no reason you couldn't use Excel or MATLAB.

_3iMaJ said:
Do you understand the mathematics behind what you're trying to accomplish? Because if you did then there is no reason you couldn't use Excel or MATLAB.

exactly, understanding the problem is 1/2 way to solving it.

IF you dont fully understand a waveform then you cannot use software to generate it and thus you are relegated to pen&paper.

Do you understand the mathematics behind a waveform?

No way thats way to much math for me

I just need to know how to draw different waveshapes,envelopes,curves,slopes how do i do this please?

Whats the best way to do this without mathematics?

I know complex function generators have about 1000 different waveforms for presets outputing different waveshapes

I don't want to get in the matematics of this im just trying to get different waveshapes,curves,slopes,envelopes there must be a electronic drafting program that simply graphs this out on square paper and can adjust the parameters of the slopes,curves,envelopes

**How do i adjust the slopes,curves,envelopes,shapes of a waveform?

What electronic drafting program or function generator or special circuit
lets a input signal adjust the slopes,curves,envelopes,shapes of a waveform?

walters, couple of tips, IF you are going to quote some1, use the QUOTE tags it makes it soo much easier to follow, I dont know know where you reply starts and some1 you are quoting begines, you do that everytime here

Also, if you do not get a reply that you dont like requoting the original question isn't suddenly going to get you a different answer, most of the time replys to yr posts (and I must admit quite alot of ppl here are VERY patient with you!!!!) are to get more infomation

Pretty much every thread you start it boils down to you not knowing something, which is fine BUT you dont wseem to want to learn, you want a quick solution here and now which you are not going to get (I cite the thread abt you just wanting an equation to calculation rise time :roll: )

Also

walters said:
No way thats way to much math for me

Whats the best way to do this without mathematics?

IF you really want to understand electronic you are going to have to get good at maths, even if it is only are far as trig and basic algrebra. Electronics is 2nd nature if you can do maths.
When I was at Uni there was one common theme abt teh ppl that dropped out after years one and two and that was they drifted through A-level maths and didnt really understand it.

IF you are having trouble solving something then I am sure we can help, BUT if you are not going to help yourself or at least understand the problem (so you can ask the question logically) then I cannot see how we can help.

I posted a screenie of my desktop to show you both Excel (well OO-Calc) and Matlab (well Octave) can generate waveformes VERY easily, but it seems you do not reallu know what you need, until you do no-one can really help you

both Excel (well OO-Calc) and Matlab (well Octave) can generate waveformes

But don't i need to use alot of math to use excel or matlab to generate waveforms?

Don't you think it would be easyier to just hook up a function generator to a oscilloscope and adjust the slopes,curves,shapes,envelopes of the waveform so i can print them out without getting into alot of math?

Because with Excel i would be using a Database of rows and columns with alot of math value to plot the waveform? and i don't know the math values to create different waveform shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back