Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dramatic Video - Wind Turbine Generator Explodes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14tBwO5QVQ

The climate minister will begin an investigation into two separate cases of Vestas wind turbines collapsing within the past week

The climate minister, Connie Hedegaard, is calling for an investigation to determine the cause of two violent wind turbine collapses in Denmark in the past week.

Both of the windmills were produced by Vestas, and Hedegaard's request to the Energy Board comes after other breakdowns both here and abroad have been reported in the past two months.

'The problems with the turbines abroad have had to do with poor maintenance, and if that's the case here, then I expect a clear report on how we can ensure this problem is rectified,' Hedegaard told Berlingske Tidende newspaper.

Her comments come on the heels of the government's new energy agreement ratified by parliament last week, which calls for the country to have 20 percent of its energy produced by sustainable sources by 2011.

In first of the two collapses, near the city of Århus, a 10-year-old windmill began spinning out of control during high winds. A recording of the explosion-like collapse shows one of the wing blades breaking off, casting debris into the three other wings and shearing the 60- metre tower nearly in half.

Vestas itself will also now conduct an internal investigation to determine why the wind turbines have been breaking down.

'We've still got about 35,000 wind turbines across the globe that are operating fine,' said Peter Wenzel Kruse, Vestas's spokesperson. 'But they're not infallible. We're doing what we can and learning from our mistakes.'

Farmer Keld Boye, who lives in Vig where the latest incident occurred on Sunday, was clearly shaken by the wind turbine's implosion.

'I drive my tractor and my wife rides horses out there,' he said. 'Just think if we'd been out there when it happened.'

https://jp.dk/uknews/article1277616.ece

Looks like one of the blades bent/buckled in the high winds and struck the tower. It's hard to see how fast it was spinning when it failed due to the frame rate of the camera, but the weather looked pretty nasty. I wonder how many $$ that cost?

Last edited:
well it happend in danmark so it could be a terrorist atack retaliating the mohamed cartoons:D

but when you played the film like start pause start pause you can see clearly that 1 rotor blade just snaped

can be that that whas a weak spot in the material or it hit a bird earlyer and than facing these conditions it snaps

i don't know if this windmile has a rotor system that govern the speed like rotating the blades a bit or tilting the head so that they take a fraction of the wind power
if that one was not working the forces will exceeds easy the design specifications including safty factors in this kind of weather

May i ask what the chances are that someone just HAPPEN to have a camera watching this particular turbine at this particular time?

seems unlikely... Either way, still cool... :)

Marks256 said:
May i ask what the chances are that someone just HAPPEN to have a camera watching this particular turbine at this particular time?

We'll probably discover that this was a legitimate destructive test to prove the design spec.

Mike.

We'll probably discover that this was a legitimate destructive test to prove the design spec.

Mike.

Could be. Those blades were spinning quite fast...

Marks256 said:
It might also have been that the blades didn't "feather" in the high winds so this one was spinning WAY faster than the rest thus catching the attention of passersby.

Well it did say in the description that the braking system had failed.

It also said that there were two engineers in the tower who managed to get out safely before it self destructed.

That is the most logical thing. I didn't look a the description... my first mistake.

There is about 50 or so wind turbines not too far from my house. the closest one is about a mile away. They are cool to watch, especially when they were put up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back