Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dollar down, Euro rising, Buying stuff from USA is cheaper ! Whats the catch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiagoSilva

Hi,
well i was thinking about buying an ICD2 Kit from Microchipdirect.com but if i buy it on Mouser.com, even with shipment fees i can get it cheaper than Microchip itself LOL, will i have any problems with my country's Costums Officers ?

Have fun!

The PICkit2 has the Logic Tool (simple logic analyzer) which the ID2 does not. I especially like Bill's Junebug which is a PICkit2 clone with a built in 18F1320 target/tutor and more accessible IO. I recomend the Junebug.

Hi,

Why buy it from the US, there are plenty of large suppliers you can buy from here in the EU.
here in the UK you can buy online from Farnells or RS, both of whom stock the Pickit2 with or without the additional starter or debugger boards.
Their standard delivery charges are quiet low.

hth

But that's not the topic LOL the topic's about the Dollar being so low that anyone can buy stuff from USA cheaper than in the EU, so, why Buying from EU wich is more expensive ? LOLOL that's the question LOL

Another vote for PICkit 2 (or ) over ICD2. :)

Definitely. Mine arrived in the UK in a week and was assembled within 2 spare evenings. It almost works too, just got to figure out one problem but William is very helpful.

I even got a spare capacitor and another 3 pin header in the pack. No, I'm not missing anything on the PCB! ;)

Buy a Junebug, you wont be disappointed.

But that's not the topic LOL the topic's about the Dollar being so low that anyone can buy stuff from USA cheaper than in the EU, so, why Buying from EU wich is more expensive ? LOLOL that's the question LOL

I can't comment on Portugal, but in the UK it depends if you get 'caught' or not - but usually low priced items get through. Otherwise you get charged import duty, VAT (at 17.5%), and a charge for collecting the money.

Definitely. Mine arrived in the UK in a week and was assembled within 2 spare evenings. It almost works too, just got to figure out one problem but William is very helpful.

I even got a spare capacitor and another 3 pin header in the pack. No, I'm not missing anything on the PCB! ;)

Buy a Junebug, you wont be disappointed.

Post the problem here. Start a new thread as I haven't been able to replicate the problem here.

I can't comment on Portugal, but in the UK it depends if you get 'caught' or not - but usually low priced items get through. Otherwise you get charged import duty, VAT (at 17.5%), and a charge for collecting the money.

Ah, that's what i'm "talking" about, so even for low priced items those laws still apply...
Dammm those leeches.

Just a thought, but if you buy things from the US in the UK you shouldn't have to pay sales tax but (as Nigel says) UK customs could sting you for the VAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back