Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dog Repeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

horatio

Dear Forum:
I am a non-technical person going insane because of stray dogs barks and their excrement in the area.
We can not get a decent night sleep and our children are in danger of getting zoonosis,parasites,etc.
No effective police nor health departments in these latitudes.
I wish to adquire or have built a powerful ultrasonic dog repeller.
Something that will either scare them off or hurt their inner ears and keep them away as far as possible.
No mickey mouse internet $9.99 stuff please.
Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.
horaciomr@yahoo.com

You can make this as powerful as you want. VCC can be between 5 and 15 volts.

Attachments

• DOG_BEGONE.jpg
    DOG_BEGONE.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,979
Thank you for your answer.I will take your design to an expert to help me with.
In the realm of fantasy I would like to be able to point a design to a distance of about 20 or more meters and keep the animals away,or to bother them enough so they do not return.
Is it a matter of decibels,frecuencies,speakers or another factor?

Good day Horatio:

Regarding your range specification. It seems to me that the two most important factors to keep the dogs away would be the frequency of the sound, and the decibel level of the sound.

I have read that dogs normally respond to ultrasonic frequencies between 12-25 KHz, depending on the age of the dog. As you can reason, older dogs may be less sensitive to sounds based upon what ear damage has already occurred.

As far as the decibel level, some of the ultrasonic systems that I have seen, operate around 80-90 decibels, which isn't entirely too loud.

Consider this: Normal human conversation is between 30-60 decibels. A quiet recording studio would be around 10 decibels. Also, power tools and aircraft are usually around 110-130 decibels. (Source: www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm).

So with that frame of reference, 80-100 decibels might be a pretty good range, especially since dogs ears are more sensitive than human ears. The human ear threshold for pain is around 130 decibels, so I'm assuming that dogs may have a lower threshold for pain as well. An adjustable output decibel level would be preferred.

One final note: I'm not sure how close your neighbors are, and if they have pets. I imagine that if they have pets, and are close by, the sound may cause these pets to go into a frenzy. My point, you may be driving the dogs away, but you may also be driving the neighbors pet insane! I suggest checking this out with your neighbors.

I once build na astable mutivibrator(whith the potencimeter you cod adust the freq.) adn i conected it to a smal specer.I opend the window conected the power and thurned the potencimeter until i codnt her it.then dogs in half of a neiborhud gone nuts.trugh on a lower freq. (1000 Hz) you cod hardly her it 3 m avey. imagene what wod hapend if i wod drive it in to my radio tower (120 W specers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back