Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Dog Helper

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthuey

Hi All,

Interesting number of those that are trying to deter dogs with an electronic noise emitter. Quick story. 9 years ago we moved into a new apartment with a then 2 year old cocker spaniel. In short time we found out he was rather noisy when we were away. This we knew because of notes left on our door by the neighbors. None of which were ever signed, cowardly. Would have loved to work with them to find out the when and how long. The entry way became our dogs 'Hall of Shame' as we had posted all of the notes there for him to see. That didn't work to deter him. After a few methods failed i looked into a shock collar. Bought it, brought it home and explained to the kids what it was. The dog belonged to the daughter, then 9. While laying on the bed showing it to them and adding the batteries. The daughter started crying, asked me if it would hurt her puppy. I replied that it would not and volunteered to put it on to prove it. With the collar secured to my neck i made several, apparently non convincing, barks. No reaction from the collar at all. A few more tries and still nothing. Not impressed. I started to remove the collar from my neck and one of the kids made a joke that made me laugh. Turns out the collar liked a good laugh. It proceeded to shock me. Which i thought was funny, in a painful way. Which of course brought more laughter and more shock therapy. It was weird cause it was just one of those times where i couldn't stop laughing, triggered in part by the shocks i kept getting. The entire event was especially funny for the others in the family. It took me a few minutes to calm down so i could get the collar off.
The collar was returned the next day. TV seemed to help for a while. Another dog seems to help most.

Here we are 9 years later. Same dog. New issue. Blind. 2 years he ago he lost an eye to glaucoma, breed specific. Has an artificial implant now. As of a couple months ago we lost the battle with the other eye. Same thing glaucoma. He has been doing a tremendous job getting around with his new disability.

I would like to build some small devices that i could velcro to either side of our door jambs around the house. Ultrasonic beacons. Something soft and low key to help him guide himself around the house. Maybe i could put one on my shoe when i walk him.

Something that would work off a 9v or even smaller watch style battery. All suggestions welcomed. Tanks in advance.

I wonder if the high frequency hearing ability of an old dog drops like it does in most old humans except me?

Like my dogs, I did not get my hearing destroyed by going to war.
I am 66 years old and my hearing is still excellent.

How are your electronics knowledge and your ability to solder?

This guy uses a 555 IC and a piezo speaker to create ultrasound.
**broken link removed**

This one uses a LM741
**broken link removed**

As you need to construct many of these circuits, fewer parts would be better. According to that, I wonder if you can get the same effect using two transistors and a tweeter (something like this circuit, but reaching ultrasonic range). A more experienced forum member will easily answer that.

PS: Maybe a continuous ultrasonic sound will annoy the dog, why you don't try an odor beacon? With time the sense of smell will compensate the loss of eyesight.

Last edited:
I second Menticol's suggestion for odour beacons. Dabs of different smelly things at various spots around the house would, I think, be more effective than ultrasound; and very quick and cheap to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back