Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does this DC regulator work with AC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.1911

Hello,
I'm numb in electric stuffs, so please excuse that,
I just wanna know if this circuit can accept AC power instead of DC??

**broken link removed**

If not, can you please modify it for me?

I want 15v out, so will change that 12v zener to 15.

Last edited:
No it cant and neither can it be easily modified to work on AC either.

Well if you put a bridge rectifier before the left 100uF capacitor and increased that capacitor to 2200uf or higher then yes it would work but would still give you a DC output.

well thanks all for their inputs

Well if you put a bridge rectifier before the left 100uF capacitor and increased that capacitor to 2200uf or higher then yes it would work but would still give you a DC output.

Why bridge? Why not a single diode would work?
Actually in my bike the AC connectors runs a 35w bulb on AC and that alternator is not even powerful enough to handle 55w, tried everything didn't work. It hardly produce 3 or 3.1 Amps from 0-30VAC
So, I wanna give a try 45w bulb. But the built in regulator stops the volts exceeding at 12v.

So, I need something 15v output thats 15x3=45w. No matter whether out is AC or DC. I only want to power the bulb.

That is like this

Only that single wire is connected to the regulator, if i remove it, it would have no control over the bulb.

So does a single diode will work?
I've 6A4 6 Amp diode. will put just before the input, then would i still need to change that left 100uf capacitor to 2200uf??
I've one 4700uf 35v.

I wish if this work!

Edit:
I also tried this method to increase 2v https://mastercircuits.blogspot.in/2011/08/headlight-intensity-enhancer.html
But volts exceeded to 20 and my bulb got blow.

That is a 12.7V zener to give 12V out; so, you need a 15.7V for 15V to account for the usual 0.7V BE differential to turn the transistor on. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_source

John

Thanks John
The link u provided has crossover my head :p

Last edited:
Previous forum thread about shunt regulator for motorcycle

Another

(You will have to wait until the site manager restores the figures to see the circuit diagrams)

Last edited:
@picbits & MikeMI

okay then that circuit will not work
but i found another one, and i think this will surely work :) **broken link removed**
Just need some change and it will be set perfect.

Looks as though it'd do it.
Note that if your alty is much bigger than what the reg is designed for it'll get fried.
For Q4 you could use a Tip 3055 rather than a 2n3055, the tip(sometimes called 2n3055P) is much easier to fasten to a heatsink, and its the same device.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back