Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does my sentence make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmyguo3o

Hi all,

I'm currently translating an article into English on how to prevent a battery from discharging into the PSU output when the PSU is de-energized. Since English is not my mother tongue, I have difficulties with certain phrases.

Does this translated sentence make sense to you: "The simplest solution is to insert a Schottky diode into the positive line between the PSU and the battery"? If not, how do I phrase it better?

You are very close, I would suggest "The simplest solution is to insert a Schottky diode in series with the positive wire between the PSU and the battery".

You also should include a drawing or some other way to show the polarity of the diode.

diode polarity terminals are called ANODE (+) and CATHODE (-)
So the PSU + connects to the diode + and drops a known low voltage at maximum current to the battery connected load with the (-) output. however if the battery voltage is much lower than. the (-) output, then high currents will charge up the battery in addition to the load. There must be an over voltage protection in the PSU while charging the battery.

Normally a diode is chosen with far great current rating than the supply can deliver to minimize the voltage drop and power dissipation.

"The simplest solution is to insert a Schottky diode in series with the positive wire between the PSU and the battery".

@ Der, I think you should omit the word "the" before battery, ie. "between the PSU and battery."
@ CMY, Also when using acronyms such as PSU, the acronym needs to be spelled out once with the acronym next to the spelled out version in parenthesis.
Example:
For this discussion the power supply unit (PSU), will be a switched mode type.
For the remainder of the document it is now acceptable to simply refer to the power supply as PSU...

DerStrom8, ChrisP58, Tony Stewart, Mikebits — thank you very much for your input! You've been very helpful.

@ Der, I think you should omit the word "the" before battery, ie. "between the PSU and battery."
@ CMY, Also when using acronyms such as PSU, the acronym needs to be spelled out once with the acronym next to the spelled out version in parenthesis.
Example:
For this discussion the power supply unit (PSU), will be a switched mode type.
For the remainder of the document it is now acceptable to simply refer to the power supply as PSU...

Reading this back I must appear to be nit picking, if so I apologize.

:) I have been involved with and have written technical documents for years, so I just could not resist posting my pedantic view (many points have already been posted):

(1) Always use short, simple, common words
(2) Always be brief
(3) Always be specific (pronouns are best avoided)
(4) Always be consistent
(5) Stick to the subject
(6) Always avoid abbreviations/slang. If you use abbreviations always define them in full the first time you use them. Also have a glossary of terms in a document.
(7) A picture/diagram is worth a thousand words (another area where some simple axioms can help)
(8) Use short sentences and paragraphs and deal with one subject/operation per sentence.
(9) Use new lines/blank lines to separate sentences and paragraphs. (this is very much the trend on the internet these days)

Afraid the word 'insert' is a worry to me; 'connect' is more in keeping with the subject.

I will get my coat now.:eek:

spec

Last edited:
Reading this back I must appear to be nit picking, if so I apologize.
Not so. Any improvement is worth doing. It is surprising how much easier a document is to read if the author is picky and pedantic.:D

spec

The simplest solution is to connect a Schottky power diode between the battery and the power supply unit (PSU).

The anode of the Schottky diode should connect to the battery positive terminal and the cathode of the Schottky diode should connect to the PSU positive input terminal.

The Schottky diode should have a minimum current rating of x and minimum voltage rating of y.

Not good bedtime reading.:facepalm:

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back