Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does Anyone Use PSPICE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhonas

So I am wondering if any of you Engineers/Techs use PSPICE. If so, I am wondering if this Online Forum has a discussion board for this. If not, maybe one should be started? Else, might any of you suggest a Forum that discusses PSPICE. Thanks everyone for reading.

The PSpice I use is OrCad 10.0 from Cadence Design Systems. Over here it doesn't take long to hunt down a PSpice aficionado. Have the ask the admins on this one.

Well... in specific, I am curious if it is possible to import library files to PSPICE from a manufacturers website. I have tried doing this, but when I run the simulation, I notice that the manufacturers website might only be providing a part stamp rather than a simulation file. Has anyone else tried? been successful? Thanks Fella's.

Jhonas said:
Well... in specific, I am curious if it is possible to import library files to PSPICE from a manufacturers website. I have tried doing this, but when I run the simulation, I notice that the manufacturers website might only be providing a part stamp rather than a simulation file. Has anyone else tried? been successful? Thanks Fella's.

I use it all the time. I add models all the time.
What you need to look for:

1) open vendors model file (sometimes a *.mod, *.ckt, *.ps -whatever - it's just a text file!)
2) Look for name of model, usually after a few lines of comments
3) Should see a .subckt or a .model statement for native models.
4) If you see one or the other, you have the right file.

5) add this model to your simulator program - details of this vary depending on the software you use but in all cases, as long as you get the model into your netlist, the Spice engine will simulate it.

Send questions..

So, here is what I have done for an AD5220BN10

1. Visited Manufacturer's Website and found this:
**broken link removed**

2. I downloaded the Zip File and got this:
type of file: OrCAD Capture 9.2.3

3. I Added the library to my PSPICE simulaiton and all I got was a footprint and therefore could not simulate.

Question: I am doing this completely wrong or do I simply need to find a footprint that includes the .subckt or a .model parameters.

Thanks again

Jhonas said:
So, here is what I have done for an AD5220BN10

1. Visited Manufacturer's Website and found this:
**broken link removed**

2. I downloaded the Zip File and got this:
type of file: OrCAD Capture 9.2.3

3. I Added the library to my PSPICE simulaiton and all I got was a footprint and therefore could not simulate.

Question: I am doing this completely wrong or do I simply need to find a footprint that includes the .subckt or a .model parameters.

Thanks again

what you downloaded was completely wrong for simulation purposes. Like you found out it is only a part footprint for Orcad (those software packages also support layout in addition to simulation)

What you need is a circuit model. With that said,

the AD5220 is a digital potentiometer. I looked for a model and could not find one. I conclude that they do not offer one. So, that's bad.

But it's not really bad. You very likely do not need a model for your purposes in simulation. I would suggest first using just a resistor to simulate an operating condition of interest. If you need to model the accuracies & drift behavior of the digital-pot, that can be accomplished with just a single resistor also! If you really need to have a digitally programmable resistor, it won't be too hard to create your own model to do that should you feel so inclined.

maybe if you share your circuit & application, I can suggest a means to get the most out of your simulation without requiring a digital-pot model that isn't offered by the vendor.

Thanks so much Optikon for taking the time to searc fot the AD5250, I guess my questions end here. I won't need to model without the 5250 as I have already purchased it and it works per expected. I just had hoped I could lean to import libraries into PSPICE.

It would be of help if you provided an example for adding a part (any part) from a manufacturer's website. A step by step would go a long way. Don't feel a need to do this, as you already have done more than enough, but it would be awesome if you did get the chance. Thanks again Optikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back