Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

displaying binary

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazic

i have an analog signal wich i'm connecting to a/d converter, the outputs of the a/d is 8 bit binary and i want to display it on 7-seg(i need 3 7-seg to display "0-
255", the problem is that every 7-seg need 4 bit to display 0-9 but in binary after 9 comes 10 and 7-seg cant display 10, i need "1" for one 7-seg and "0" to another,
so i need to convert the 8 bit binary to 3 groups of 4 bits and every group is between 0000-1001 (0-9)
A/D=255= 11111111 -> 3X 7-seg= 11 , 0101, 0101

one more example: if a/d is 1010 i need 10000

hazic said:
A/D=255= 11111111 -> 3X 7-seg= 11 , 0101, 0101

Wouldnt it be 10, 0101, 0101?

Anyways
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/10/CD4028B.pdf
maybe something like this would work. I highly doubt that it would, but I'm sure you should be able to find a single IC that would serve as your A/D and output a decimal number. It may cost a bit of money, but it would probably be easier than making your own.
I'd suggest looking through different types of A/D converters and decoders

I agree with Nigel. Use a PIC. The PIC16F72 would do it, drive the leds directly, and also offer five a/d channels, out of limits alarm, and drive a piezo squeaker as well. This includes playing a silly tune. And all for less than 3 pounds GB. It's well worth learning to program them yourself.

i think i might have a problem if i'll use it...
lets say for example that my analog signal coming to my a/d is from a therimistor, so when i first operate the circuit i need to calibrate it to show true number so how will i do it?

hazic said:
lets say for example that my analog signal coming to my a/d is from a therimistor, so when i first operate the circuit i need to calibrate it to show true number so how will i do it?

It's much easier to do with a PIC than with hardware, with hardware you would need to process the analogue voltage in order to get the voltage output to exactly span the range you wanted - for example giving 0V to 2.12V, from freezing to boiling. You also have the problem that the output from a thermistor isn't linear, you would need to try and correct for that somehow.

With a PIC you can simply scale it in software, taking the output from the thermistor as is. You can also compensate for non-linearity by using a lookup table.

But even better, you can buy specific temperature sensor IC's which you can connect a PIC to, these provide the temperature in degrees - you simply need to read the chip and display the reading.

hazic said:
which converter do you have in mind.?
because some have built in voltage references some dont.
yeah what he said...
beat me to it Nigel..

i thought about something, tell me what you are thinking....
i take the binary number(for ex. 51=" 00110011") and divide it by 10("1010"), i get 5("0101"), then i take this 5 and multiply by 6 (0101*0110=11110 = 30) then i take 30 and add it to the original binary number->
11110+110011 = 1010001 and if you'll seperate it to 2 groups of 4 bit you'll see 101,0001=5-1 we got the number 51 in bcd, this works on every number (you can try in windows calc) the question is if it's practical to do build it? how can i divide number by 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back