Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discharging effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll probably have to check with audioguru for that one, he seems to be the resident expert on supplies and amplifiers. Whenever multiple capacitors are involved, you have to apply the Kirchoff's laws to find the voltages on them independently, or run a simulation. Volumes 1 and 2 of covers that in more detail.

Also, I may have made a typo earlier: I probably suggested the time constant for LR circuits was "L*R" when it is in fact "L/R."

Thanks for the help on this

a switching device like a transistor in the circuit to control the charge and discharge of the capacitor.

Im still confussed about discharging where would discharging be in a circuit or schematics

Walters I just posted a very simple RC series circuit on your other thread. Instead of a mechanical switch, invision a transistor doing the switching. This is as basic as it gets dude. You need to learn about multivibrator circuits and oscillators, tank circuits and timers. READ A BOOK.

Yes heathtech i have them in my book but im talking about just regular dischanging how do i get different dischanging curves and slopes are capacitors the only thing thats stores and dischanges? so when i look at a schematic i just look for every capacitor to see how it would dischange and find the discharging times?

To know where the Discharging Paths and to understand more about and what discharging paths and what and about dischanging is

Can you please explain more about what dischanging is about?

walters said:
To know where the Discharging Paths and to understand more about and what discharging paths and what and about dischanging is

dischanging or discharging what more do you want to know it has been covered.

You take a capacitor an connect it across a battery and it will "collect" charge
(think of a cap like a bathtub and the battery like a watertank)

Now the cap will charge up quickly, with the current/charge flow only limited to the ESR, but it will be exponetial shaped (that is gospel)

Now if you add an external resistor in series with the cap and the battery, that resistor will limit the flow of charge onto the capacitor (treat the resistor like a valve/tap in the bath). but it will be exponetial shaped, it iwll just take longer.

All a capacitor is , is a couple of plates (isolated) and bacisally static charge builds up on the plates.

A discharge of a cap is basically removing that charge and returning both plates to equailbrium (ie no charge on either plates). That can be done by shorting out the cap and giving the charge on the +ve plate a path to flow to the -VE plate (tha tis a bad discharge since it is fast)

put a load between the +ve of the cap and the -ve of the cap and you can use that stored charge to power things, say put a resistor and a LED across the cap and the LED will light for a finite period of time

I dont get what you are asking,

Discharging path is nothing special, a capacitor is a voltage device and when charged has a voltage across it, charge/current want to flow from high potential to low potential, so if there is a path to the -ve terminal of the cap it will follow that route, its not rocket science

If you're looking for really detailed info on all the discharge paths, I'd run a Spice simulation. That can get you any data you need.

walters said:

It's mostly irrelevent, except for RC oscillator circuits, if you're trying to understand circuits by working out the charging and discharging of the capacitors? you're complicating things beyond belief - it's uncommon for a capacitor to be used in that mode.

Let's see if I can add simplification.

DISCHARGE = the opposite of CHARGE
CHARGE = stored energy
DISCHARGING = removing stored energy

I can tell you that a crazy way to discharge any component is to short-circuit it.

The best way to discharge something (batteries included) is to hook it up to a decent output. It can be as simple as a flashlight lamp.

As Nigel said, WHY?

Let's face it. discharging is discharging.

Walters, take a fresh battery, a lamp, a large value capacitor, and a resistor, and follow these steps:

1. connect the capacitor directly to the battery, and wait about a minute.
2. Disconnect the battery. It is no longer needed.
3. connect the capacitor, resistor, and lamp in series (together as a ring)
4. watch the light. when it is off, the capacitor is discharged.

so now that you got answers to two different questions of yours, what's the 3rd piece you need before your major assignment is complete? or are you beyond high school?

Here is some guitar amp schematics

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Now where would anywhere on the amp would there be any discharging?

The way im looking at it start from the input with a AC polarity switching signal so when the positive cycle is charging the Tube or capacitors the negative cycle is ""Discharging paths" where are they at on these schematics ?

They are everywhere in the circuit. The only one condition exists, they must be connected to capacitor. What charges or discharges a capacitor? It is current flowing through it. Most of the capacitors charging and discharging caused by DC voltage happens when circuit is switched on and off. Othervise we mostly do not speak about capacitors charging or discharging but what influence they have on frequency and phase characteristics.

walters said:
Now where would anywhere on the amp would there be any discharging?

The way im looking at it start from the input with a AC polarity switching signal so when the positive cycle is charging the Tube or capacitors the negative cycle is ""Discharging paths" where are they at on these schematics ?

You're thinking about it completely wrong! - you'll never understand a circuit if you try to reduce it to capacitors charging or discharging, as I said before, it's almost entirely irrelevent!. The capacitors in those circuit can basically be grouped into two types, coupling capacitors and de-coupling capacitors. Coupling capacitors block DC and pass AC, de-coupling capacitors smooth the supply rails, and provide a low impedance path between the rails and chassis - that's ALL you really need to know about them.

Looking for charge/discharge paths will only confuse you, and provide you with no useful information at all.

Thanks alot guys

frequency and phase get stored in a capacitor wouldn't the capacitor have to discharge the frequency and phase to a discharging path?

Since Discharging paths are everywhere can we please start from the basics of the discharging path in those schematics to help me out please?

I'm trying to look at those schematics in a discharging point of view to understanding discharging and discharging paths more can you give me more insight on discharing applied to the schematics?

walters said:
I'm trying to look at those schematics in a discharging point of view to understanding discharging and discharging paths more can you give me more insight on discharing applied to the schematics?

For the THIRD time! - it doesn't apply, you are just confusing yourself for no reason.

In some electronic books they do apply it but don't really explain about discharging paths to much i was wondering if someone could apply it to those schematics so i can understand discharging paths more and where they are in a schematic and what do sidcharging paths do

It seems to me that discharging paths are "Bi-directional" and "reflect" the voltage or current back to the input of a stage or go the opposite direction when discharging VS charging

It sounds like you're wanting to know all of the AC currents in these schematics, and that's an extremely daunting task. Even simple AC circuits normally require multiple differentiation/integration, complex arithmatic, linear algebra, and all of the 0hm's & Kirchoff Laws. The fastest way to go about this is a SPICE simulation.

wanting to know all of the AC currents in these schematics

Yes how do u look at a schematic wanting to know how and where the AC current paths are because their is 2 AC polaritys positive and negative currents , and charging currents for the positive swing or cycle and the negative swing or cycle currrent how do u know where they go or how to start?

Well, for simple sine voltages (example: 60Hz AC), we have to use a combination of of 0hm's Law, . It takes a lot of DC knowledge to do that kind of thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back