Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discharging caps on blinking LEDs - safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2-D2

I have finished an LED sequencing circuit using the 555 timer and 1047 decade counter. (I'll probably post a schematic later.) Connected across the LED arrays are discharging caps (C2, C3, and C4 shown in red) so that there's a fading on/off effect when they blink which so far works. My question is, do I need to add diodes in the circuit to protect the 555 and 1047? I think that not only are the caps discharging through the LEDs, but also through those ICs which might be overheating them a bit. I have burnt out a 1047 which was likely from a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. Any ideas would help.

Last edited:
are you sure that the resistors attached to the LEDs are sufficient?

Hi, thanks for responding.
Yes, they are.

I used this to figure it out:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back