Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Disabling Automatic Test Page Printing HP 932C

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordo

Does anybody know of a way of disabling the printing of a test page "feature" that automatically occurs when replacing an ink cartridge on an HP 932C inkjet printer? I recently replaced the cartridge (with power left on: I've heard that if I had powered down before replacing the cartridge it would not automatically want to print a test page) and after every print job it tries to print a test page. I keep deleting the (test page) files in the print spooler but apparently the printer keeps sending a "test page print" command to the spooler and will continue to do so until it prints a test page. It appears that there is possibly a nonvolatile memory location inside the printer that "remembers" whether or not a test page has been printed after cartridge replacement (if done with power left on).

HP claims that it is extremely important, critical for operation, etc., etc. that the test page be printed, however, I'd like it to be my option when to print a test page, not the option of the seller of ($5,000 + per gallon) printer ink. Especially when the printer prints just fine without the so called "alignment" and "calibration" that is supposed to happen when dumping a load of ink on a test page.

I'm thinking that I could install an old cartridge, let it burn up a lot of (nonexisitant) ink printing a test page and then swap in the new cartridge with it powered down. However, I already pitched the old cartridge before I realized this little nuisance was going to persist and don't have that option right now.

Anybody have any ideas or workarounds besides letting it print a test page of dubious value (unless of course you're an HP shareholder:rolleyes:)?

i feel that you might be woking on win xp OS
please uninstall the printer, reboot the machine and then connect thpprinyer and then let it ask for the driver
you may select LPT1 or USB as appropriate. then select HP and search for HP830C/HP832C
it would ask whether to print test page-- dont select

now install and come out, and reboot the machine
perhaps , now it wont print test page as you start the machine.

If still going to print test page the manual test page print button( second button other than ON/OFF) would have locked up
in such case , even if the prinyer is not connected to system, it would print as you siwtch it ON

please study this second aspect first, before re-installing the driver again.

Sarma,

I appreciate the reply, however, I don't believe the problem is in the PC, OS, or the printer driver: I'm running XP on one pc and Vista on another and encounter the problem on both. I've tried uninstalling/installing drivers, no help.

As I previously stated, I believe the 932C "knows" (in memory internal to the printer and not the cartridge itself) that a test page hasn't been printed following a cartridge replacement and will continue to try to force you to print a test page until one is printed.

they have a memory chip in the cartridge so the printer can always tell if its a new cartridge. I was able to disable in the software for the printer, but I have an older hp 6100 they may have removed that option in order to cause you to waste more ink. you can get resetable chips for certain models off ebay so you can refill your cartridges and the printer will see them as full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back