Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP P1102w printer with ghosting and lines

The prints coming out of this printer has ghosting issues and faint lines going vertically down the page.
I have tried the cleaning function built into the printer but the page comes out clean.

I have noticed toner residue on the drum within the toner cartridge. I have tried to clean this off with IPA but it keeps coming back.

Attachments

• 20230623231947_002.jpg
    20230623231947_002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20230623_222649540.jpg
    PXL_20230623_222649540.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
From a Noob..... I think this problem stems from a high voltage missing from the stripping wire in the cartridge. Is this a direct replacement toner cartridge (proper toner) not necessarily HP though? Do you have another cartridge to test( Cartridge or printer)?

it's a compatible toner cartidge I bought online. It was working when it was brand new. I don't have another toner cartidge or printer.

How high a voltage are we talking? Mains voltage? I think anything above mains voltage is unsafe for me to be tampering with. Can I test for this voltage using my multimeter?

Mains voltage for me is 230v since I live in the UK

Last edited:
How high a voltage are we talking?
The whole toner transfer system is operated by electrostatic charges, anything from 500V to possibly 3000V, depending on the printer.

This is a generic overview of a single laser printer drum:

Some do not have the lower roller, just a bar or array or wire electrodes.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I will try replacing the toner cartridge. If it doesn't work then I'll send it to a technician for repair.

I doubt my cheapo meter will survive the high voltages it puts out. Also I feel unsafe working around such high voltages. Plus I won't know be able to name the various parts. Also won't know where the high voltages are anyway.

In our Lexmark printer, there are modules called a "developer" for each colour, that distribute the toner across the width of the drums, from toner cartridges at the side of the printer.

The black one in that is acting up at present, causing a speckled grey background to one side of the print.

Does your have anything like that, or do the toner cartridges feed the full width of the drum directly?

No it has ghosting issues and vertical lines. See the photo at the top of he page.

Does your have anything like that, or do the toner cartridges feed the full width of the drum directly

I am not sure but I guessing the toner cartridge feeds the full width of the drum. The drum is built into the toner cartridge which is why am suggesting I will replace the toner cartridge

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back