Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Relay Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie363

Hi to all,
I have a national instruments dacq usb module which allows me to output a digital signal of between 0 and 5V. Here are the details:

Analog Output
Absolute accuracy (no load) ............... 7 mV typical, 36.4 mV maximum
at full scale
Number of channels............................ 2
Type of DAC ........................................ Successive approximation
DAC resolution.................................... 12 bits
Maximum update rate ........................ 150 Hz, software-timed
Output range ....................................... 0 to +5 V
Output impedance............................... 50 
Output current drive............................ 5 mA
Power-on state.................................... 0 V
Slew rate............................................. 1 V/μs
Short-circuit current............................ 50 mA

My question is, is it possible to use this to trigger a relay? I would like this relay to let 220V through. But my understanding is that with only 5mA coming out, it won't be possible to use a solid state relay with a bobin! Is this correct? Can anyone point me to a relay which will take this low amperage?

As an application, this would be a way of turning a standard 220v lightbulb on or off through my PC. Thanks for your help,
Charlie

**broken link removed** will turn-on with only 5V @5mA applied to the input terminals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back