Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital clock design PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebell211

I need help. I am trying to build a digital clock in multisim. I know some things but not what I need to know. Originally this project was supposed to be a full 12 hour format with minutes and seconds but the instructor decided to make it just the hours. So, count to 12 then reset to 1. I want to use jk flip flops (7496), 7447 decoder and 2 seven segments. Also, I am not looking for someone to just build a circuit for me, I want to understand HOW it works. From what I was able to understand yesterday, it seems that the output is derived from the combination of my clears and presets, but I couldn't figure out exactly what my instructor was trying to explain to me. PLEASE HELP!!!!, this project is due in 6 days and I need ti understand it.

What you need is a decade counter to keep track of the time, a BCD to 7 segment decoder for the display, and a timing device. Try a 32kHz crystal that is stepped down in frequency through a /32 counter. That will give you a 1 second output, so all you need to do is have that divide by 60 to get the minutes, then divide by 60 again to the hours.

What you need is a decade counter to keep track of the time, a BCD to 7 segment decoder for the display, and a timing device. Try a 32kHz crystal that is stepped down in frequency through a /32 counter. That will give you a 1 second output, so all you need to do is have that divide by 60 to get the minutes, then divide by 60 again to the hours.

We havent yet done any designs using crystals, for my clock, I just use a digital source in multisim. I started trying to figure out how to do this with the decade counter yesterday but I got confused because every circuit we have designed thus far uses a series of jk flip flops. I pay attention in class, unfortunately sometimes it is hard to understand my instructor due to his foreign accent. I am going to attempt this again now using what you said, but I'm not really sure when it comes to the dividers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back