Digital Audio Delay Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybud

Hey, first time poster here.

Looking for ideas on how to create a digital audio delay upwards of 10 seconds (adjustable by the user via a pot, preferrably). I was going to buy a commercial product but they are backordered for an unknown time (delayplay.com)

The idea is to take a radio broadcast (I could go mono but stereo would be preferred), and delay the broadscast X number of seconds so the radio broadcast of a sporting event will sync with the video broadcast on TV (radio is almost always ahead of the video)

Any ideas to get me pointed in the right direction? I figure I need an a->d convertor, some sort of buffer, then back from d->a.

I've haven't done any pic programming in probably 10 years and I'm very unfamiliar with any of the new breed of IC out there. Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a fairly complex project for a beginner. As you noted you need an A/D converter, a variable digital delay memory (which is the difficult part), and a D/A converter.

Have you looked at this **broken link removed**. It only has a maximum delay of 8 seconds, but perhaps that's enough.

They make chips to do this for TV lip synch issues, but they're nowhere near long enough for a 10s delay.

Have you picked a sampling frequency?

there is always the old way with a loop of magnetic tape with a erase head, record head and a playback head, all active at the same time, you could vary the delay time by increasing or decreasing the speed of the tape path, not really a electronic solution but a simple solution that can be used with mono or stereo, with equal simplicity, Karl.

Here's **broken link removed** a relatively simple circuit to generate an audio delay. For 10 seconds of delay with a 100kHz clock you would need a 1Mbit shift register. You would vary the delay by varying the clock frequency (or tapping off different points on the shift-register).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…