Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Device to suppress first telephone ring for all calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

I’m looking for a device (or plans for building a device) that will suppress the first ring for all phone calls to a land line. It should pass through rings 2 through n, but it should not pass through the first ring (ever). Is anyone aware of such a device or have plans to make such a device?

Thanks

Welcome to ETO!
Doable, but the method used may well depend on the details of, and regulations relating to, your telecom setup. These will vary from one country to another. Where are you based?

I am in Hamilton, OH, USA. I have Spectrum. I'd like to trap the signal out of the cable modem (telephone port) so that none of the phones in the house would ring. I use NomoRobo (runs on their server with simultaneous ring) and they shut off the rings after the first ring if it is a known spammer. If I could get this to work, my phone wouldn't ring 10 times a day for only one ring. If someone would make these, I know there would be a market for them. Every NomoRobo user would want to buy one. Thanks for the welcome.

I have a Panasonic wireless (landline) phone that has that option.
It's for the call-block feature.
It looks at the caller ID after the first ring, and if it's a blacklist number in the phone, it blocks subsequent rings.
But you can set it so you don't hear the first ring.

I did this for my INFINITY BUG. It suppressed the first 3 rings so the caller could ring back in exactly 40 seconds and the phone would get picked up by the bug so the caller could listen to what was happening in the room.

NoRing-final.gif

Last edited:
25 years ago when I had & old dial phone at home no one would talk to an answering machine. Best way to get rid of all those scam calls is let the machine answer the phone every time. Soon as my machine said, Leave a message, the phone went CLICK. Scammer hung up.

It works on the cell phone too. NEVER answer your phone scammers will never leave a message. LOL. Turn ringer off & vibrate off. When I see the green light on cell phone I know someone called. I check my phone if is says, unknown caller I know it was a scammer. If it was someone I know they will always leave a short message (this is Tim call me back) then I call them right back. If my phone has no message & caller has a real number I call it back and I often get a message that says, This number does not allow incoming calls.

NEVER answer your phone, turn ring & vibrate off, problem solved.

25 years ago you could download a War Dialer to call the scammers back. Scammers were all 800 numbers back then. I would set the War Dialer on my computer to call the 800 number, soon as they answer hang up and call again. I set the war dialer to start calling 8pm every night & stop calling 4pm next day about the time we arrive home from work. War dialers called the 800 over & over & over for 20 hours every day. Several days later certified letter arrived in the mail form the phone company telling me, STOP calling the 800 number if you ever call this number again YOU will NEVER have phone service every again. I did some research and learned the phone company is in on the scam, phone company allows this because they get a FEE for every call that is made. My War Dialer was blocking the phone company from making $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and they did not like it. LOL. I have a theory not answering your cell phone prevents the phone company from collecting a FEE each time a scam call is made and not answered.

Now they mess with caller ID. it's someone elses number. Then there is the wierd messing where the modify part of the phone number. It has the same exchange, but a different last 4 digits.

The Jolly Rodger Telephone company just keeps a spammer occupied.

Then there is a service that only works with VoIP which is what I think we are talking about in this thread. The service requires simultaneous answer. The service knows the spammer caller ID list. It answers and if the ID is on the list the phone won;t continue to ring. Caller ID gets passed between the first and second ring, I think.

One note to remember is that Caller ID (CID) is not the same as Automatic Number Identification (ANI). ANI you can't spoof. Large Corporate customers can get ANI.
(800) number cannot be CID spoofed. The caller to the (800) number and (911) is identified by ANI.

Spoofing CID is useful, One good use is when a Doctor calls you, the number seen by CID is the main office and not their personal phone.

Supposedly, you can programatically tie up a spammers line, by calling as many times as necessary after the voice stops. Since hangup is not immediate, you can sieze the spammers line. Now, the program just listens to the robo-calls. It ties up your line too, but it occupies theirs.

VOIP may or may not pass caller ID info. The caller ID reported MAY BE the VOIP gateway, not the calling party.

I am in Hamilton, OH, USA. I have Spectrum. I'd like to trap the signal out of the cable modem (telephone port) so that none of the phones in the house would ring. I use NomoRobo (runs on their server with simultaneous ring) and they shut off the rings after the first ring if it is a known spammer. If I could get this to work, my phone wouldn't ring 10 times a day for only one ring. If someone would make these, I know there would be a market for them. Every NomoRobo user would want to buy one. Thanks for the welcome.
A device that suppresses the first ring on any call exists. You can purchase it on Amazon. It will work to suppress the first ring associated with robocall blocking services such as Nomorobo.
https://www.amazon.com/FRS22100-Sup...183717&sr=8-16&keywords=nomorobo+call+blocker

I have a Panasonic wireless (landline) phone that has that option.
It's for the call-block feature.
It looks at the caller ID after the first ring, and if it's a blacklist number in the phone, it blocks subsequent rings.
But you can set it so you don't hear the first ring.

Can you post the model number? We currently have a Panasonic 6.0 Plus which is about due for replacement. Been a good system with a base and 4 remote phones but it is getting old. Caller ID helps as does seeing call data on the TV but I could learn to like the features you mentioned real fast. :)

Ron

A device that suppresses the first ring on any call exists. You can purchase it on Amazon. It will work to suppress the first ring associated with robocall blocking services such as Nomorobo.
https://www.amazon.com/FRS22100-Sup...183717&sr=8-16&keywords=nomorobo+call+blocker

Mark, This is perfect. It's exactly what I need. Thank you so much. It's going to be much quieter around the house when this arrives. I probably get 15-20 "one ring" calls a day.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back