Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a sun-powered battery charger (project- have questions!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I am trying to take a battery charger that's powered by a 12v car plug (It is outputting 8.4v at 600mAh..):
Charger For Panasonic VW-VBG070 TM700 HS300 Camera+Car | eBay

..and connect a 12v solar panel to it as a source of power (that puts out 1.5watts):
12V(1.5 -110 W )Watt Solar Panel for Grid Tie Inverter - eBay (item 200543251172 end time Aug-10-11 21:25:53 PDT)

Would this every work?? Or is the panel too weak for such a system?
Watts = V x Amp
So i guess if you have, 1.5W - 12 x Amp, Amp = 1.5/12, So Amp = .125
So the panel puts out 125mAh. If we hook it up to that charger that needs to put out at least 600, what happens?
Does the battery still get charged at a slower rate, or does the charger not work at all?

Thanks so much for all your info and input!
I appreciate it..

I can not make head nor tail of what you are trying to do.

Post some direct links to the ebay items, as i for one is lazy and dont go searching for ebay item numbers.

I also have a 12V/1.5W solar panel. Its output here in southern Canada is 125mA only at noon on a sunny day in summer with the panel directly facing the sun.
In the morning or afternoon the output current is much less. It is also much less behind a glass window.
When it is cloudy or in the evening then the output current is almost nothing.

Im sorry. This site messed up my ebay links. Here it is again:
I am trying to take a battery charger that's powered by a 12v car plug (It is outputting 8.4v at 600mAh..):

**broken link removed**

..and connect a 12v solar panel to it as a source of power (that puts out 1.5watts):

**broken link removed**

Would this every work?? Or is the panel too weak for such a system?
Watts = V x Amp
So the panel puts out 125mAh. If we hook it up to that charger that needs to put out at least 600, what happens?
Does the battery still get charged at a slower rate, or does the charger not work at all?

Thanks

The best answer is probably not. But, you might be able to charge your battery directly from the solar panel depending on the type and rating of the battery.

Watts = V x Amp
So the panel puts out 125mAh.

Nope. 125mA. Please don't get mA (milliamps) and mAh (milliamp hours) mixed up. You'll just give yourself a headache.

Here's the thing: you don't need to introduce hours into the picture unless you're trying to figure out current or power over time.

Didn't you hear me?
The solar panel has an output of only 125mA at noon in summer on a sunny day when it is pointing directly at the sun. Its output is much less any other time.
It is too small to power your charger and charge your battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back