Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a fast acting solenoid actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

I'm looking to design a small fasting acting solenoid actuator, and can't find any useful information online. What I'm looking for would be similar to the hammer drivers they used on 1960's era computer line printers. If I could buy something like that ready made that would be great, but if not, I'll have to build my own. Choice of voltage is flexible. I'm thinking that to get maximum speed I may have to use a capacitor charged to a high voltage that can be dumped across the solenoid.
Any suggestions?

What speed are you looking for and why don't the existing solenoids on the market work for you? Or are you asking, "which vendors sell solenoids?"?

Thanks. I wasn't expecting Digikey to have anything close to what I needed, so I hadn't spent much time searching there. Working back from the link you posted, it appears they do have quite a few parts close to what I'm looking for.

I'm working on a device that needs to make a mark on an object passing under it when it gets a "mark" signal. The solenoid will operate something (yet to be determined) that will make the mark. The faster the better, however things can be positioned to account for a certain amount of time lag from when the "mark" signal is received to when the solenoid actually fires.

Thanks. I wasn't expecting Digikey to have anything close to what I needed, so I hadn't spent much time searching there. Working back from the link you posted, it appears they do have quite a few parts close to what I'm looking for.

I'm working on a device that needs to make a mark on an object passing under it when it gets a "mark" signal. The solenoid will operate something (yet to be determined) that will make the mark. The faster the better, however things can be positioned to account for a certain amount of time lag from when the "mark" signal is received to when the solenoid actually fires.

There are bigger solenoids (up to 250W) but those are pull vs push.

are you doing a single hit? A local company, Mecco, makes vibra-preening equipment.

The trick to get a very fast reaction from a solenoid is to drive it from a rather higher voltage than it needs, with a series resistor (or electronic constant current circuit) to set the steady-state current.
The higher the voltage the faster reaction, even though the maximum current stays the same; you don't need a capacitor discharge system.

That's how mechanical teleprinters managed to handle serial data at anything from 50 to 110 bits per second, driving a solenoid mechanism - the solenoid system only needed about 6V, but they were driven by around 60 - 80V with a ballast resistor or barretter filament regulator to limit the current to eg. 60mA or 20mA.

are you doing a single hit? A local company, Mecco, makes vibra-preening equipment.
It's just a one off device. Those Mecco units are nice, but a lot fancier than what I need. I expect mine will just put a single blob of ink or paint on the work piece.

The trick to get a very fast reaction from a solenoid is to drive it from a rather higher voltage than it needs, with a series resistor (or electronic constant current circuit) to set the steady-state current.
The higher the voltage the faster reaction, even though the maximum current stays the same; you don't need a capacitor discharge system.
That's good to know. That will simplify things quite a bit.

I've been looking at product marking/decorating techniques for a consulting project over the past few weeks. PM if you want to discuss.

I expect mine will just put a single blob of ink or paint on the work piece.

Maybe something like these?

Laser marking is pretty quick.

I failed to mention that this is just a hobby project. So low cost is a primary concern. I would like to explore laser marking for other things though, sometime in the future.

I hadn't realized that Digikey stocks so many inexpensive solenoids. I can already think of a few other applications. So, I'll be ordering a few different ones to experiment with.

I failed to mention that this is just a hobby project. So low cost is a primary concern. I would like to explore laser marking for other things though, sometime in the future.

I hadn't realized that Digikey stocks so many inexpensive solenoids. I can already think of a few other applications. So, I'll be ordering a few different ones to experiment with.

I used some of the relays from Digikey to build flippers as I restored a prototype pinball machine from the 1950s. Once I finished, the gentleman I was helping finally told me the pinball machine was never completed by his grandfather - I finished the rebuild (original build?) and apparently played the first game on it. No rolling score board, just a chain of tasks that connected a cascade of relays that made you a "winner" if you completed the chain. One of the first electronics projects I ever did on commission.

Does it have to be paint? Would ink work? How about a single color jet from an old ink jet printer?
Or a bump from a Sharpie or a Paint Pen.

I was thinking of having something like a typewriter ribbon between the solenoid and the work piece.

I was thinking of having something like a typewriter ribbon between the solenoid and the work piece.

May be not keeping us in the dark about what your trying to mark would get better ideas. There are many ways of doing marking on many different materials, and some of us have done it in our daily work environments. Not trying to be mean to you but trying to find a way to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back