Design an auto switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bongodrummer

Hi Guys, I am quite new at this stuff and would really appreciate any views people might have on this design I have been thinking about for an auto switch.
The auto switch itself is used to aromatically turn on (and off) my dust extractor when I use any hand power tools, which will be plugged into the auto switch.

I know that most of these kinds of things use power transformers, but I wondered if one that uses a reed switch, activated by a coil which is magnetised when the power tool is turned on might also work? Does this seem workable (drawing attached)?

**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Bongo
www.floweringelbow.co.uk

Given a choice I would likely start with something like this. They are self powered and passing a few turns of your hot mains power going to your power tools would have them come on at a pretty low power tool draw. The units driving an Amber LED likely have a few volts out to the LED when the min current flows through the mains power. Those units happen to be CR Magnetica but I am sure there are other distributors out there of the same or similar current sensors. They cost a few USD as I recall. So pretty cheap starter.

Maybe use the LED out to just drive an SSR module (solid state relay) for your dust collector and just place a switch across the SCR so you have manual or auto operation.

A SSR similar to something like these would work for you. Depending on how much current the dust collector draws. A zero crossover 10 Amp with a 3 to 32 volt control voltage should work for you.

<EDIT> You may also want to give this thread a read. It was started later today. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…