Dead Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dae

I picked up a cheap old keyboard today, a Yamaha PortaSound. When powered on it immediately made a continuous tone, and had two unresponsive keys (one of which corresponded to the note of the tone). Although I know nothing about electronics, I took it apart to see if there was anything obviously gunked up that I could clean.

**broken link removed**

Sure enough, the relevant contacts looked corroded.

**broken link removed**

A guide I Googled recommended 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean with. The best thing I could find was my girlfriend's flatmate's nail polish remover...

**broken link removed**

Since cleaning up the contacts as best I could, the keyboard functions properly, but the dead keys haven't come to life. The contacts appear quite damaged – removing the blue-green gunk revealed a bronze surface (not obvious in the picture), rather than the black visible elsewhere. I don't know if it's worth spending an hour getting the rest of the corrosion off, or if there might be other issues at play.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Last edited:
solder it, or even a conductive grease may help(not my best idea)

you can see where the node has detached, bypass the dead node with a wire to another node point, if ya hafta

use a ohmmeter to check for the open circuit if you can

your dead key is #5, and prolly #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…