Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dead paper shredder. Has power but motor doesn't spin

The only circuit board in it, just has a switch and a mains capacitor (the yellow ones).

I have checked the brushes whilst they look short, they still make contact with commutator . I did try pushing them in with my multimeter probes( with the meter turned off) whilst activating all switches but still no life.

I have tested both limit switches.

I checked the fuses that are inline with the motor, they are fine.

There is 230v between each terminal of the motor and neutral but not across the motor. So that tells me the sliding power switch is fine and any inline protection is fine.

I have two questions

1) is the motor dead then?
2) what is the device in the image?

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_140934145.jpg
    PXL_20231019_140934145.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20231019_151500899.jpg
    PXL_20231019_151500899.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
There is a break in the path between mains neutral and one of the brushes. the motor will be series wound and there will be one field coil between each brush and the supply. Measure the resistance of each field coil.

Les.

here is 230v between each terminal of the motor and neutral but not across the motor. So that tells me the sliding power switch is fine and any inline protection is fine.

That means 0V across the motor! One side should have 230V, the other 0V (to neutral) for it to run.

Shredders normally have a manual power switch plus at least one safety switch that is made when the shredder head is fitted to its bin, or the waste drawer is closed etc.

And, as others mention, a thermal cutout. That's supposed to auto-reset when the motor cools down, but can fail eventually.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back