Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dead Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dae

I picked up a cheap old keyboard today, a Yamaha PortaSound. When powered on it immediately made a continuous tone, and had two unresponsive keys (one of which corresponded to the note of the tone). Although I know nothing about electronics, I took it apart to see if there was anything obviously gunked up that I could clean.

**broken link removed**

Sure enough, the relevant contacts looked corroded.

**broken link removed**

A guide I Googled recommended 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean with. The best thing I could find was my girlfriend's flatmate's nail polish remover...

**broken link removed**

Since cleaning up the contacts as best I could, the keyboard functions properly, but the dead keys haven't come to life. The contacts appear quite damaged – removing the blue-green gunk revealed a bronze surface (not obvious in the picture), rather than the black visible elsewhere. I don't know if it's worth spending an hour getting the rest of the corrosion off, or if there might be other issues at play.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Last edited:
Typical when Coke is spilled in it.

solder it, or even a conductive grease may help(not my best idea)

you can see where the node has detached, bypass the dead node with a wire to another node point, if ya hafta

use a ohmmeter to check for the open circuit if you can

your dead key is #5, and prolly #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back