Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dead key on my synth, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominic_909

Hey everyone. I bought a new synth a while ago and one of the keys did not work when I got it home. I opened it up and noticed that the traces were rotted leading to the contact for that key. I have no way of jumping them because the traces are rotted right to the contact. How would you suggest I fix this problem?

Last edited:
Solder a think piece of tinned copper wire where the trace is broken?

Please post a picture so we can see exactly where it's broken.

If its new didn't you get a warranty?

Heh, I guess I should've mentioned that it's an Akai AX-80... I called Akai's customer support and they had no idea what an AX-80 is...
I'll post again with some pics.

SO have you learned anything about buying cheap junk in order to save a few dollars? :eek::D

lol oh, im very pleased with my cheap junk purchases. the synth is still very useful because i usually just midi it up, but it'd be nice to have all the keys working. i find it better a lot of the time to buy cheap slightly broken stuff, it's usually an easy fix and i save hundreds.

Last edited:
Draw the traces back on carefully with some silver loaded paint.
You can get this from any decent electronics supplier, or perhaps your local car accessory shop in a pinch as it's quite often used to repair heated screen connections.

rgds

Silver paint is good stuff but it's really expensive. It probably cost more for one tiny bottle of silver paint than the synth.

Great, that's exactly what I was looking for. Is it really that expensive? I saw a pen filled with silver loaded paint on ebay for $20 with apparently 100 ft of repairs.

**broken link removed**

It is expensive as paint goes, but like Nigel said...it's a tiny thin line so won't require pints of the stuff. Maplin here currently sell a small bottle with 2 or 3 grams of paint in it for £7.99 for example. More than plenty for 20+ repairs of this type.
If the switch current is really really low, and the synth can cope with a fairly high switch resistance, you may even get away with just drawing it on with a good graphite pencil!
Anway...it's food for thought...

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back