Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to AC Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squintz

Im looking for a 24Vdc Input to a 120Vac Output (Inverter/Converter). I am building a Power Distribution Box which will Be supplied 24Vdc and output 12Ddc and 120Vac.

I dont want one of the store baught kinds that you plug into the cig lighter Im looking for one of those that you can solder to. It needs to be fairly small also. About 2.5" X 2.5" or maybe even 3" but not much more and no more than an inch thick. The ammount of power is negotiable but the more it can handle the better because im not sure what i will be plugging into it.

Do such devices exist.

I have a DC to DC Converter from LAMBDA that is the ideal package size that i need.

If i confused everyone please let me know and i will try to explain better

Russlk said:
A 60 Hz transformer is going to be as big as the box, I think you are overly optimistic.

They usually generate it at high frequency, rectify it to DC, then chop it up to simulate a rough (very rough) sinewave. This minimises the size of everything - but I still don't see it anywhere near as small as he wants!.

He also doesn't give any indication of what power he wants, which will affect the size. Here's a picture of one, on the Maplin website - it doesn't give any dimensions, but the 13A socket on the end is about 2.5 inches square. **broken link removed**

The image isnt showing up for me. I would guess 500 to 700watts. I would plug a Laptop and a Variable power supply and a Data Aquisition System. We are using a 700W 12dc to 110vac right now but that requires me to open up the battery box on a vehical and attach directly to the battery and i want to avoid having to do this.

When i gave the above size i meant that as an overall module size thinking that there may be some sort of Module to do exactly what i need.

What is the easiest way to get 110vAC from 24vDC and power about 700 to 800 watts? This is a new question so size dont matter but the smaller the better and the fewer components thebetter!

Squintz said:
The image isnt showing up for me. I would guess 500 to 700watts. I would plug a Laptop and a Variable power supply and a Data Aquisition System. We are using a 700W 12dc to 110vac right now but that requires me to open up the battery box on a vehical and attach directly to the battery and i want to avoid having to do this.

When i gave the above size i meant that as an overall module size thinking that there may be some sort of Module to do exactly what i need.

What is the easiest way to get 110vAC from 24vDC and power about 700 to 800 watts? This is a new question so size dont matter but the smaller the better and the fewer components thebetter!

If you've already got one, you already know the sort of size it's likely to be - 700W is a pretty hefty converter, it will also dissipate a fair amount of heat, so it's heatsinks will be a decent size, plus it doesn't want hiding away in a small space - good air movement will help to keep it cool.

!2V or 24V doesn't make much difference, except it uses double the input current at 12V - so a 24V system will last longer (assuming the 24V system uses 2 of the 12V batteries in series). The powers involved are still the same, as are the heat dissipations. Most inverters are designed to work at one specific voltage, some are switchable, and a small number may even be auto-switching.

why don't you run a connector from the battery to somewhere in the vehicle to get your 12v? Just be sure to fuse it of course

Im in the business of testing big trucks so i have to move from one truck to another frequently. Each truck has what is called a Slave which is just a standard connection which runs directly to the battery with some heavy gauge wire. So the source of power shouldnt be an issue.

Well it seams that what i had in mine isnt available so i will just have to use what i have. Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back