Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor (pump) control problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr HG

I'm working on a project where I control the regulation of the water level in tanks from the PC via a microcontroller STM32.

My problem is this: when I am sending a low duty cycle (less than 40%) at the pump, it does not rotate! This then causes a response delay of the system so that the controller sends 100% .. The control signal of the pump thus resembles a PWM signal! 0% or 100%!

Is this problem is the circuit of the power amplifier https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/power-amplifier-jpg.83626/ (I use NPN transistors instead of IGBT, ie running attack and not voltage)? Or should I define a dead zone for the pump in the program?

Is the circuit of the power amplifier has a role in this problem?

Do you have any ideas for improvement? solutions?

My problem is this: when I am sending a low duty cycle (less than 40%) at the pump, it does not rotate!
Then can't you use a higher duty cycle?

Edit: The opamp is not a rail-to-rail output type. Its max output will be a couple of volts less than the supply. There is also 2V or so dropped across the Darlington-connected output transistors. So your motor will see about 4V less than the supply. Not surprising it's sluggish.

Last edited:
Look at electric fans with a speed switch.
The switches are like this: OFF-- FAST-- SLOW
The fan will not work well with OFF--SLOW--FAST

When I start fans with a computer I go from off to full on for 1/3 second then drop back to slow. You need to drive the fan hard until it gets started then back down.

---edited----
Alec_t is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back