Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC brushless Fan issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking just a better quality one? Or running two power sources to it?

I'm not much of a electronics guy as you can probably tell. I'm trying to build some stuff as a new learning curve for myself so I apologize for the stupid question.

You're talking just a better quality one? Or running two power sources to it?

I'm not much of a electronics guy as you can probably tell. I'm trying to build some stuff as a new learning curve for myself so I apologize for the stupid question.
Not higher quality so much as higher current. It shoud be written on your wall-wart somewhere what the voltage and current are. What does it say? It's possible to have two wall adapters look exactly the same but one can provide 6x the current of the other.

Input:100-240v ~ 50-60Hz 0.4A
Output: 12vdc 1.0A

I'm assuming the 0.4 amps is my problem
No, the 0.4A is fine. That's just telling you the maximum it will take from the wall, not how much it will put out. What you care about is the output. 1A should be enough...probably. Do you have any specs on the fan? Like wattage or current anything like that? Or the model number?

Did you try measuring the voltage going into the fan when it tries to start up? If the multi-meter drops below 12V by a lot whenever the fan tries to spin up, then the problem is your wall-wart's current is not high enough. The other way is to measure current going into the motor with your meter if you know how to wire it up to do so and see if it gets anywhere near or above 1A.

It's a 12vdc 1.0A brushless fan.

Make: Circuit-test
Model: CFA1212038MB
From China
Well your fan says 1A but that's for continuous running. It requires more than that to start up so that's probably what's happening. But if that's the case, flicking it to turn the fan over just like an engine should get it going. Are you flicking it hard enough?

Or try unplugging it, flicking it real hard to get it spinning and then plug it in before it slows down. Does that work?

Really don't know what to tell you other than try another wall-wart. Or stack 8 to 10 AA batteries and check it

Also...you're flicking in the correct direction right? o_O

Lol battery stacking works amazing haha
So it is your wall-wart then. Get one with 1.5A or preferably 2A.

Or you could put a vacuum cleaner nozzle close to the fan to get it spinning. That will spin up a a fan real fast...possibly too fast so that it becomes a generator and sends a voltage back out into whatever it's plugged into.

Sound good. I didnt to go any higher in amps because I thought it would wear it out fast but I'm not concerned at this point.

Sound good. I didnt to go any higher in amps because I thought it would wear it out fast but I'm not concerned at this point.
That's voltage that will wear it out faster because it will spin faster. The amps listing on a power supply is not what it will output but it's maximum capacity. The motor will try to draw however many amps are required.

It's like how a person that could lift 100lbs does not put out the force required to lift 100lbs when they pick up an apple.

Thanks DK, I appreciate your time. I will get a different wall-wart tomorrow and hopefully wont have to continue this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back