dB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr RB, If you don't want to use dB, don't. But just because in your experience you don't see much reason to use dB doesn't mean that it's not useful or is obsolete.

We were told at college almost 40 years that "only people who don't know what they are doing use dB's"

While probably not 100% true, it's not too far off the mark - it's trying to simplify things for people who don't understand.

We were told at college almost 40 years that "only people who don't know what they are doing use dB's"

While probably not 100% true, it's not too far off the mark - it's trying to simplify things for people who don't understand.

Yes Nigel, I agreed, But I am not sure why it is used WIDELY this days?! it is used in most of datasheets (look at op-amp and amplifier datasheets). Not only datasheets, I have seen it is used on packages of some products for non expert final users!! It means that we have to know how to use it correctly, That's why I asked several questions in the thread about how to notice some things about dB, but the thread is on hands of pros and cons of dB, lol.

So please tell me how do you treat with it while see dB value for something (say for a 40dB high pass filter)? somebody tells you if a 40dB high pass filter is good enough for your job, then what would be your response? And do you try to change such a value to its non dB equivalent scale (decimal)?

hi,
Look at these links, watch the video for audio explanation, the important point to remember its a logarithmic scale.

For a HPF of 40dB I would use the VOLTAGE ie: 20log(v2/v1) and assume the impedances are the same.

For a Power ratio I would use 10Log[ P2/P1] , I could generalise and assume equal impedances but if I wanted an accurate value I would use the input and output impedances to calculate the P's in the equation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFu7i7nZ18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade_%28log_scale%29
http://www.jimprice.com/prosound/db.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade_(log_scale)

Last edited:
So please tell me how do you treat with it while see dB value for something (say for a 40dB high pass filter)?

OK, here is a realistic example:

The output of a signal source (signal generator, radio transmitter, or whatever) must have the harmonics at a level no greater than -60db with respect to the fundamental.
Examining the signal with a spectrum analyser shows that:
the 2nd harmonic is at -16db,
the third harmonic at -35db,
fourth harmonic -55db,
and higher order harmonics are all below -60db with respect to the carrier.

So, will our LPF with 40db stopband attenuation be good enough?

Second harmonic =(-16db -40db) = -56db not good enough by 4db
Third harmonic = (-35db -40db) = -75db very good
Fourth harmonic = (-55db -40db) = -95db very good
Higher harmonics were ok without the filter.

So our filter is not good enough!
To make things worse, there may be significant amounts of passband attenuation as well which will reduce the fundamental, thus making the filter even less suitable.

JimB

Don't understand why you were told that. I believe whoever said that never worked as a engineer. It's been 40 years and dB's are probably still as widely used as then because they are quite useful in describing certain engineering parameters. They are likely to be used well into the future.

What does it simplify that people don't understand?

Hi carbonzit. How did you answer yourself ?

Every paragraph below shows confusion, misthoughts, frustration,

That is what decibels do. Confuse.

Widely used by engineers that want to show-off their knowledge superiority by making the reader feel ignorant. Many times, improperly stated as making reading 'between the lines' necessary and the "you know" fever. "If you did not get it, you have to learn it"
And 90% of product specifications are aimed to the general consumer public.
Most of the consumer public does know what a Volt and a Watt are. Those are the real units to use instead of decibels.

People who really knows decibels well, smile at the "abolish the decibel"
People who does not know decibels, smile at the "abolish the decibel"
People who thinks understand decibels, get angry at the "abolish the decibel"

Electronics design takes calculations of gain and losses. Operational amplifiers have their behavior calculated from inputs and feedback resistors. Those calculations give a gain of -say 15- NOT in dB !
It is 15 times. Not in dB.

In RF propagation/receiving/transmitting; a mistery for many; is usually learned by decibel calculations. Becomes very easy that way.
But nobody does use another way; the student/public/curious mind do not get exposed to another form of calculation. Because of the 'law of the least effort' and because in the 1940s when the decibel was implemented, nobody had calculators (perhaps some slide type) nor US was considering anything metric. But adding and substracting was a piece of cake.

If technology was based in 'the least effort'; civilization would not be where it is now.

If an antenna gain is 4x (not dB) and the transmission line has a loss of 50% (not dB), the transmitted 25 Watts are radiated as 50 Watts (real units, not dBW) in such direction.

So if you are confused by decibels, it is not your fault. It is an unnecessary unitless 'unit' The reality is Volts, Watts, Amperes.

I think that decibels can be summed up as:

For those who get it, no explanation is necessary

For those who dont get it, no explanation is possible

JimB

Computers make alot of expressions obsolete. But when we obsolete them, we become more dependent on the machine. As a person who still uses a map to navigate ( don’t even own a GPS -- I like to do my own thinking ), I'll continue to use those "useless" and "obsolete" tools I learned back when people could still use that lump in their head for actual cognizance.

As one who is admittedly still somewhat confused by the usage of the decibel, I think a middle road might be the best way here.

It's true, as the anti-dB activist here claims, that this measure is often misused, and even may be used to flim-flam the great unwashed public ("this amazing device reduces noise and distortion by 95 dB!"). However, this isn't a fault of the measuring unit itself or its logarithmic nature, and it still seems to be very useful, especially in certain fields (RF in particular). So I bear no grudge against it and will endeavor to understand it (and the limitations of its usage) better.

It seems the place where the use of dBs is the most confusing, and perhaps inappropriate, is measuring gain where the input and output impedances are different (comparing what to what?). Am I wrong about this?

Last edited:
I think that decibels can be summed up as:

For those who get it, no explanation is necessary

For those who dont get it, no explanation is possible
That's probably true.

The people that find dB useful will continue to use it. Those that don't understand it or don't like it, won't use it.

.....It seems the place where the use of dBs is the most confusing, and perhaps inappropriate, is measuring gain where the input and output impedances are different (comparing what to what?). Am I wrong about this?
No, you are correct. Technically it is incorrect to define amplifier voltage gain in dB if the input and output impedances are different. But it is common practice, and those that work with amplifiers understand this useage, so it's not likely to go away.

Last edited:

ericgibbs,
Thanks a lot for your help,

What is the point behind of assuming the same impedances?!

Thanks for the links, I am looking on them.

crutschow,

As a fan for dB, Please can you respond to my question of how do you treat with dB when hear of a dB value?
What if somebody tells you about a 40dB high pass filter? And what is your idea when there is no clue if the a dB is based on power or based on voltage? I think you should know it so that you could treat good enogh.

By the way, what do you guys mean when talk about the same input & output resistances? Are you meaning that it is not correct to calculate dB for different resistances in input and output?!!

That's EXACTLY the problem with the silly dB. To do 99% of useful real world tasks you need to convert the dB to something practical, like a real linear gain figure.

If your filter is supposed to cut X dB, and your 'scope shows 5v ac in, and 1v ac out, (or your multimeter shows Vac in and Vac out) is it getting the right dB cut? Hang on, I'll reach for a scientific calculator and do a silly calc that would not be necessary if the filter was more sensibly specced at a gain of 0.2.

If a microcontroller ADC pins show 50mV at pinA and 1700mV at pinB, how does it display that in dB again? Here's a thought; why not throw silly dB out the window and show the gain in real numbers, requiring only one simple division.

Crutschow said:
It makes it easy to determine the total gain of a string of amplifiers and interconnect lines, since all the dBs simply add. ...

I understand your argument there but I don't think it really holds up. As an example if you have a 3 stage amp and you work in dB its A+B+C=gain. But in linear gain you can just do A*B*C which should still be almost as easy in your head. So there's little benefit to dB.

BUT in the real world if you now want to see if you are getting the correct amplification you connect a scope. With linear gain you look at Vout/Vin and you have everything effortlessly, probably still in your head. But if you were working in dB, you are reaching for the scientific calc again and doing a silly log calc that was just not necessary.

Externet said:
Because of the 'law of the least effort' and because in the 1940s when the decibel was implemented, nobody had calculators (perhaps some slide type) nor US was considering anything metric. But adding and substracting was a piece of cake. ...

That really is the crux of it. In the dark ages engineers were forced to do calcs using books of log tables. Being able to work with logarithmic input and output values had some usefulness.

But now everyone has a pocket calculator working to about 12 decimal places and exponential key if you need more than 12 places.

dB is an obsolete system that hasn't quite died its natural death yet.

What really ticks me off is small ish gain value; when a filter or amp etc has a perfectly usable linear gain of 7.3 and some idiot has expressed that in dB. The odds of that dB value making my life easier is about 0 and the odds that a "gain of 7.3" would have made my life easier appoaches 100%.

I'm joining Externet's warcry; "Abolish the dB!"

....What is the point behind of assuming the same impedances?!....
The point is that the dB is a power ratio so to use it for a voltage ratio, such as voltage gain, the impedance of the input and output must be the same for the power ratio to be correct. But as I noted, it is common practice, even though it's not technically correct, to use dB for amplifier voltage gain even when the input and output impedances are not the same.

So for example, with two amps and an attenuator, multiplying 5.62 x 12.59 x .662 is as easy to to do in your head as adding 15dB +22db - 5db? If so you are much better at mental math than I.

Obviously you haven't worked in the real world of RF and microwave. All spectrum and signal analyzers are calibrated to read directly in dB. For example, displaying a signal and its spurious harmonic which might be 60dB down is impossible to see on a linear scale but is readily displayed on a dB scale.

dB is an obsolete system that hasn't quite died its natural death yet.
Please don't hold you breath waiting for that to happen.

So people who use dBs are idiots, eh? I resemble that. But I have more company than you and Externet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…