Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data Transfer (image of LCD display) between DSO and PC over RS-232?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangtepau

I have a GDS-810S Digital Storage Oscilloscope. I want to save the display image by data transfer between the scope and Desktop PC over RS-232 interface. How can I do that? I do have the serial cable which can connect the scope to the PC serial port (RS-232).

The scope manual says "This oscilloscope can transfer data between the scope and other instrument over the RS-232" and it has the "Printer Menu" available with printer "Type HP". It also says "Press the HARDCOPY push button to start printing from any time after printer is properly configured". However, it also states "The built-in RS-232 serial interface allows for remote controlled operation by a PC".

The manual is located at https://www.electroninvest.com/shop/items/instek/GDS-800-user_manual.pdf

I am not sure if I can save the display data vis RS-232 and if so how. Please help with this issue.

Welcome to ETO.

You say that your scope is model GDS-810S. However, in Section 7 (page 68) of the manual it states that
Note: RS-232 Interface is only available for GDS-820S, GDS-820C, GDS-840S, and GDS-840C

So I'm afraid that it probably won't work with your scope. Sorry.

buy the upgrade?

The 810S has indeed RS-232 port but not sure if it works.

Downloaded the "FreeCapture" from https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/GDS-800 but now need a Desktop PC with RS-232 port. Unfortunately, RS-232 has been obsolete for new laptops and PCs. What if I use an RS-232 to USB converter cable or use Arduino as a converter?

Try it. Arduino might work but you'll need a fast one if a newer usb 3 format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back