Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cut-off frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsStateDawg

I am build a full-bridger single phase inverter that uses PWM to switch the transistors at 18kHz. I am using the following equation to come up with an LC filter:

fc = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC))

Does anyone know a range of cut-off frequencies that would eliminate most of the harmonics and still keep the 60 HZ fundamental frequency with minimal attenuation?

I don't think a resonant circuit is the way to go. I would use a series inductor and shunt capacitor. This is an example of the design process I would use:
Assume you have a 100 watt load and can tolerate 5% voltage drop in the filter, then Rload = E^2/P = 12100/100 = 121 ohms. 5% of that is 6 ohms = the reactance of the inductor. Now, L=Xl/2/pi/F = 6/6.28/60 = 16mH. The reactance of 16mH at 18kHz is: 6.28*18K*.016 = 1800 ohms. If you want to attenuate the 18kHz by a factor of 100, then the shunt capacitor reactance is: 18 ohms and C=1/2/pi/F/Xc = 1/6.28/18k/18 = .5uF.
The output voltage will rise 5% with no load, but you can't get something for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back