Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom 30' scrap trailer made from scrap of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I thought I would share another one of my custom built design projects with everyone again.
This time it is a 101” by 30’ flat bed trailer I built out of salvaged metal from scrapped out items a friend of mine had on his family farm. He needed a good heavy trailer to haul scrap metal with so I figured that the best thing to do was build it out of the assorted scrap metals that he already had.

What I started out with was a old and rather bent up mid 1970's 14' x 70' trailer house frame he had parked out in the trees for the last few years and what was left of the back of an old semi trailer floor.
Basically what I did was strip the trailer house frame down to two I beams and cut the bent section out to form a solid 30 foot flatbed frame. The shortened frame still had a little twist to it so I took the two bent sections and plated them in beside the main frame but with the bends going the opposite direction. This in effect worked to cancel out the bends for each I beam and produced a surprisingly strait frame to work with.

For the cross beams I recycled 14 3" x 4" I beams from what was left of an old semi trailer floor and cut them to fit in between the two trailer house frame rails that way the top of the deck is level withthe top of the main frame itself.

It presently rides on three 6000 # rated axles with two of them equipped with electric brakes. Eventually it may get them replaced with a pair of 10,000 # axles. The current three axle setup is set with the front axle on a 16/14 split, the center of the front axle is set back one foot from the center of the deck, to give it a good balance but still allow for sufficient tongue weight in order to make it travel smooth and handle well when loaded.

The original trailer house tongue was only three feet long so I cut it off and replaced it with a 6 foot tongue to make turning sharper possible and to greatly improve the ride and stability of the trailer when loaded. The only new materials used was 40 pounds of 7018 welding rods, the new treated wood for the deck, the 440 decking screws required to fasten it down, the new adjustable hitch, and the new heavy duty jack.

Eventually it will also get removable 16" side rails and lighting but for now that is up to my friend to do when he gets more of the parts in. Not a bad trailer for under $1500 total invested plus it rides very light and smooth despite weighing 5000 #’s and being 36 feet long from tip to tail! :D

Attachments

• DCP02236.JPG
    DCP02236.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 722
  • DCP02237.JPG
    DCP02237.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 619
  • DCP02235.JPG
    DCP02235.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 595
  • DCP02253.JPG
    DCP02253.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 626
  • DCP02255.JPG
    DCP02255.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 594
  • DCP02258.JPG
    DCP02258.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 614
  • DCP02247.JPG
    DCP02247.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 680
  • DCP02256.JPG
    DCP02256.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 605
  • DCP02257.JPG
    DCP02257.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
That is pretty nice. Paint in the future? You are just one of those naturally creative people when it comes to things like this.

Ron

Well its my friends trailer so the paint scheme is up to him and his dad being its theirs. I just did the design and fabrication part. Their thoughts where metallic blue to match his dads semi or white to match the pickup however knowing them my guess is that it will likely be what it looks like now. :(

It was a fun project for me and another friend of ours. It took us around 100 hours of combined effort to cut and reshape the old trailer house house frame then weld everything back together and build the rest of it. Given that I have the design and layout figured out I think I could likely replicate this one again in far less time when I make one for myself.

He and I are already looking for more cheap/abandoned trailer houses with the heavier frames like this one so that a few more trailers can be made. I plan to turn my present trailer house I live in now into a 30 footer similar to his when I hopefully get my new house finished next summer.;)

Nice! I took a couple of welding/fabrication classes at the local community college a few years ago, good stuff.

How did you flip that thing over when you were done? Use the front-end loader?

How did you flip that thing over when you were done? Use the front-end loader?

Of course! Being my friends family owns a construction business they had their bigger pay loader home which easily picked it up and flipped it over.

I find it rather fun and challenging to design and build something now and then out of old parts just to prove that not all good things need to be new or expensive. This was mostly just a fun mechanical/structural engineering and fabrication challenge for me. :)

Now I am looking forward to next year when I may build my own of similar size and design. :D

The fourth picture reminded me of the trailers used in Ro Ro vessels, (google for "mafi") to enter / leave through the (stern / side) ramps, but those have their wheels much more to the rear end.

Is yours intended to circulate on the roads? Could you do that?

How many hours took to build it?

My friend will need to get it inspected and then licensed but yes its highway legal here. I took it for a test drive and it travels very smooth even at 75 MPH!

It took us about 100 hours of labor to build it over a six day period. With good strait metal it would be much faster but much of the frame we worked with was bent and took a fair amount of time and effort to cut up and straiten out to the point of being usable.

Being able to flip it over makes things so much easier... I've seen a lot of times I wished I had some equipment to do that.
When I fabricate I'm usually alone, sometimes my son is there to help, but then again I don't build anything as large as that..
Looks great for scrap iron..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back