Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current to voltage converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam123

Hi to all

I want to build a current to voltage converter to measure the variations of sunlight using a solar cell calculator. I've done some research on solar cell and found that the voltage generated by the solar cell does not vary linearly with increasing frequency of light, but its current does vary linearly. so i want to monitor the variation of light intensities during the day using the current generated by the solar cell. The current generated by the solar cell is of order of micro amper (200 :mu:A at noon on a sunny day)Can any one suggest me a schematic or explain to me how to proceed with it.

I have LM324 op amp available.

Thanks

i'd use a transresistance amplifier -- basically an inverting opamp without the input resistor.

This is done to keep the solar panel voltage at 0V.

with a simple resistor, the solar panel's V-I curve comes back into play. eg, for lots of light, current would be high, but that would imply a voltage that exceeds the open-circuit voltage.

cdstahl said:
i'd use a transresistance amplifier -- basically an inverting opamp without the input resistor.

This is done to keep the solar panel voltage at 0V.

with a simple resistor, the solar panel's V-I curve comes back into play. eg, for lots of light, current would be high, but that would imply a voltage that exceeds the open-circuit voltage.
A small series resistor (100 ohms or so) might be necessary to isolate the op amp from the solar cell capacitance. Capacitance from the inverting input to ground can make the op amp oscillate.

yeah, maybe a cap across the feedback resistor instead / as well to give some filtering. from the "throughout the day" comment, i'm guessing this isn't going to be high bandwidth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back