Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current limiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayea

I need to design a circuit that will limit current for an ac amp. I need some type of logic circuit to limit the current to 10A @ 50Vac. Any ideas?

Well, the output of the amp needs to be linear to the input signal at a frequency 10Hz-30kHz. What else do you need to know?

It is based off an audio design, but I will be using it to amplify signals from a DAQ. I want to test the effect of harmonics on different types of loads.

Audio amps usually have in-built overcurrent limiting, if not you should add it. However, using an amp in this way is probably going to call for making the heatsinking MUCH larger, and probably increasing the number of output devices and beefing up the PSU.

Bear in mind 10A at 50V is 500W, so you're talking very high powered amplifiers - good quality 1000W or 2000W PA amps could well do it with no changes.

That's where I'm stuck... Other than fuses and a big resistor on the output, I'm not really sure how to limit the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back