Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crystal osc

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

I look and haven't found any thing on here about having to ground your crystal osc. I have three 20Mhz crystals with just two wires to hook them up
with. They will not Oscillate if I don't ground the case. Ground the case and they work fine. Is this normal ?

The case is normally connected to the 0V pin so if you don't connect it, it obviously won't work.

I ordered some of these Microprocessor, HC49SLF Crystal; 20MHz; +/- 30 ppm @ +25C; 20; 30 Ohms (Max.) Max. ESR they work with out grounding. There low profile Thru-Hole Crystals. They just got here to day. But the old ones I have, have to be grounded. What gets me is one did work but it stopped. And every thing I have seen has no ground on the crystal.

Attachments

• xtal.PNG
    xtal.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Yes I did use capacitors on All of them I just want to no if any one grounds the case. I use CERAMIC RESONATOR most of the time but I was building a junebug and it uses a 20 mhz crystal oscillator. I have some like this
**broken link removed** there no place to ground it I ordered some like this
**broken link removed**
But a 20mhz and it worked. I was just wanting to no if there where xtals that didn't need the case grounded

Last edited:
Yes I did use capacitors on All of them I just want to no if any one grounds the case. I use CERAMIC RESONATOR most of the time but I was building a junebug and it uses a 20 mhz crystal oscillator. I have some like this
**broken link removed** there no place to ground it I ordered some like this
**broken link removed**
But a 20mhz and it worked. I was just wanting to no if there where xtals that didn't need the case grounded

There's no need to ground the case of a crystal, bear in mind you need to be ordering crystals for micro-controller applications - ones intended for RF use may be overtone crystals.

Thanks I use a lot of parts out of junk I find and I have a bunch of old nic cards that just happen to have 20 mhz crystals in them. I put together a a board last winter and it worked the oscillator ran at 20 mhz. I was testing some code for it and loaded it to the chip and it didn't work now, so I got to looking at the nic cards and the chips where laying flat on the pcb and a pad about the size of the chip. I solder a wire to the top of one and grounded it and it fired of and ran a 20 mhz. I ordered some just for
micro-controller applications
they work fine with no ground to the case.
I mostly use CERAMIC RESONATORS
I found a a easy way to to test them with a led and a delay time the blink and a little math works good Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back