Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal info needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on how to "fake" a specific frequency crystal?
I need a 14.00000MHz rock and I can't afford to have one made. Prices on custom crystals have jumped over 4000% in just the last five years. So, is there a way to take some other frequency, do some circuit magic, and stuff it where it's needed? Thanks.

Why "fake" it?
Old PeeCee mainboards have salvageable assemblies.
14.318 MHz was a common frequency.

Mouser has HC-49/U AT-cut 30ppm rocks for US $0.40 -
much cheaper than they used to be.
And a CSA-309 type at 28 MHz at US $0.83 that could
be used with a /2.

The parts needed to construct a tuned oscillator, although
easily done, would cost more than a crystal, and be much
less stable and more temperature sensitive.

<als>

Yes, there are lots of alternatives, such as using a PLL locked to a higher (or lower) frequency crystal.

But a lot depends what you want the crystal for?, isn't 14MHz an amateur band? (or at least part of it).

But a lot depends what you want the crystal for?, isn't 14MHz an amateur band? (or at least part of it).

Hi,
Yes, I believe you are correct, but I'm not using it for that. I have a SW converter that outputs to an old AM radio. It has a 1.00000MHz offset, and since I already have 2.5, 5 and 10MHz time signals from WWV on it, I wanted to get 15MHz, too. I don't want to have to fool with it too much, so obviously, the best way would be a 14.00000MHz crystal. Any thoughts?

captainkirksdog said:

Hi,
Yes, I believe you are correct, but I'm not using it for that. I have a SW converter that outputs to an old AM radio. It has a 1.00000MHz offset, and since I already have 2.5, 5 and 10MHz time signals from WWV on it, I wanted to get 15MHz, too. I don't want to have to fool with it too much, so obviously, the best way would be a 14.00000MHz crystal. Any thoughts?

In that case, how about a 14.318MHz crystal? - these are standard and freely available. It would move your converter output to a different frequency though.

If that isn't possible, use a PLL and lock a free running VCO to a different crystal frequency - say 1MHz, with divide by 14 from the VCO to the phase comparator.

A converter covering that range will almost
certainly include switch-selectable tuned
circuits for the particular band. Changing
the injection frequency will not be the only
modifications necessary. Find an old ARRL
Radio Amateur's Handbook; there used to
be (and probably still are) circuit examples
for WWV converters for 5/10/15/20 Mhz.
<als>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads