Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cross-posting to multiple forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with the part in bold except that you didn't give the OP a chance to get any answers from the other party first. The OP posted to both forums simultaneously (or, at least he hadn't gotten a response from either one yet). As both threads progress I would expect him to fill in what was learned on the other forum. But you jumped down his throat straight from the beginning, so you clearly weren't even willing to accept the part in bold if he offered it.

That is not the correct way to it. See post #12 of this link for the proper way. https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/icircuit.288636/ . I was right to call him out on this.

Ratch

There may be "protocol" for other sites like Electronics Point. If that's the case, feel free to mention it on that site. But there is no such protocol here, so you do not have a right to speak to the OP here.

Why not? Bad behavior is bad behavior even though it is not specifically mentioned. Perhaps a new protocol should be instituted.

Ratch

Why not? Bad behavior is bad behavior even though it is not specifically mentioned. Perhaps a new protocol should be instituted.

Ratch
Because it is not considered "bad behavior" here at ETO. In fact, I (and a large number of others) actually encourage reaching out to multiple sources.

Everyone here chooses to participate. IMO, there is nothing wrong in seeking answers from multiple places, that's how knowledge is gained, since multiple sources can give the exact, or very similar answer, but use very different approaches to get to that answer. If someone feels that they may be wasting their time answering another member because they may have the same question elsewhere, exercise the choice to not post, or if this is something which really flips your switch, check the other forums for the same question first.

My 0.02

Everyone here chooses to participate. IMO, there is nothing wrong in seeking answers from multiple places, that's how knowledge is gained, since multiple sources can give the exact, or very similar answer, but use very different approaches to get to that answer. If someone feels that they may be wasting their time answering another member because they may have the same question elsewhere, exercise the choice to not post, or if this is something which really flips your switch, check the other forums for the same question first.

My 0.02

I never said that multiple sources are wrong, I said that they should not be inquired simultaneously. See the link in post #12 of this thread.

Ratch

The harm is the possibility that I am duplicating work that has already been done. Maybe the questioner does not value my time and effort, but I do. It does not serve its purpose if I duplicate someone else. The difference in receiving responses from uncoordinated sources is that they might have caused the responders unnecessary work from duplicating others efforts.
Ratch

Agree 100%!
Max.

To answer the question about cross forum posting; I will post on seven different forums and see what happens. :)

One perpetually lost user here infamous for forum posts spanning dozens of pages used to ask the same wuestion on multiple threads on multiple forums. The result was people suggesting different approaches (which readers of any one forum or thread didn't know about), so you'd get this user almost to the point of success and then out of nowhere (if you weren't aware of other posts), he'd dump what he was doing in the bin and head off in another direction. This would typically happen a number of times, shifting to a different method just about the time you thought he was almost to the end.

This is incredibly frustrating for anybody trying to help him - they would expend a lot of effort trying to guide this user, while somebody else was doing the same thing using a different method.

As frustrating as it was (is) for people trying to help, this also makes all the forum posts useless for anybody trying to solve the same problem. Because the story was spread across several forums with several threads in each one, understanding the steps to a solution was impossible.

I don't know of any other site that tolerates it.
I am a moderator on one of the largest sites out there and we frown on cross posting, if there have been answers on others they get combined with the OP, if no answers, they get deleted.
Max.

I saw post #12 in the link which you provided, that references how electronics point views
I don't know of any other site that tolerates it.
I am a moderator on one of the largest sites out there and we frown on cross posting, if there have been answers on others they get combined with the OP, if no answers, they get deleted.
Max.
To be clear, cross posting within different sections of a single forum is frowned upon, but how can anyone expect someone to limit themselves to one forum only and not seek help on another?

I saw post #12 in the link which you provided, that references how electronics point views

To be clear, cross posting within different sections of a single forum is frowned upon, but how can anyone expect someone to limit themselves to one forum only and not seek help on another?

Who said they should limit themselves that way? Did you read the link carefully? I and others oppose simultaneous postings on different forums.

Ratch

Who said they should limit themselves that way? Did you read the link carefully? I and others oppose simultaneous postings on different forums.

Ratch
You and others. You are saying that I cannot ask a question on here, then also ask the same question on AAC or EEVBLOG, or any other forum are you not? Let me know if I have misunderstood.

Yeah, I saw it.
'kingofjong' asked a question here on ETO:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/icircuit.154080/
...and also asked the same question on electronics point:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/icircuit.288636/
You (Ratchit) then pointed out, on both forums, in the 2nd post of each thread, that the question was duplicated on the other forum linked in your post.
Some members are unhappy (both here and on EP) that the OP asked the same question on two different forums, but others are not disturbed by this and actually do this themselves, or would not discourage a member from doing it.

Again, if I have misunderstood, please let me know.
I'm more than happy to stand corrected if indeed I have, it's not a problem for me.

EDIT: maybe you are talking about the 'protocol' stated by hevans? Is that listed in the forum rules for EP and ETO? Or is it just an opinion?

Yeah, I saw it.
'kingofjong' asked a question here on ETO:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/icircuit.154080/
...and also asked the same question on electronics point:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/icircuit.288636/
You (Ratchit) then pointed out, on both forums, in the 2nd post of each thread, that the question was duplicated on the other forum linked in your post.
Some members are unhappy (both here and on EP) that the OP asked the same question on two different forums, but others are not disturbed by this and actually do this themselves, or would not discourage a member from doing it.

Again, if I have misunderstood, please let me know.
I'm more than happy to stand corrected if indeed I have, it's not a problem for me.

You said in post #36 of this thread that I disapproved of OPs asking the same question on other forms. That is not so. But, they should post consecutively after each forum discussion has fizzled out. OP's should not post simultaneously for the reasons already given.

Ratch

Where did I say that you disapproved?
Again, you are saying that I cannot post a question on here, then go to another forum and post the same question. I may do it two minutes after posting here, two hours later, ten hours later, but what does it matter?
You helped 'kingofjong' how much in both of those threads?
If a member is creating a new thread which you find interesting enough to help out with, you could always ask whether they already have the question posted on another forum, to save wasting your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back