Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crazy Holophonic Sound Clip: Get the Headphones for this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I was cruising some Z80 forums and came across this really freaky **broken link removed** [best with headphones]. Can anyone explain how this stuff works? I could understand using stereo hearing to create the left/right illusion, but in this one the noise source appears move around you--in 3D!

Its probobly the disortion that our ear makes when sounds some from difrent angels.This disrtion is "simulated" here.

our ears(pinna , ear canal etc) modify the sound we receive. the modified (freq: spectrum/phase distorted) signal is interpreted by our brain to image the sound source . u can digitaly do the same thing to simulate the effect , using DSP to modify the sound as per the Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF) . This is a common method used in virtual surround sound systems.

I used my pc speakers and heard just ping-pong stereo.
I wonder how they simulated the bad smell when I accidently pressed the big red button? :lol:

akg, would the effects of this HRTF vary from person to person? My friend described the noise as moving above and below, but I thought it was more of a front-to-back effect.

DigiTan said:
akg, would the effects of this HRTF vary from person to person? My friend described the noise as moving above and below, but I thought it was more of a front-to-back effect.
The transfer function is derived by modelling a human head and playing a sound around it. the difference between the played sound and what the model heared gives the transfer fn: . Since the sound image interpretation is depends on the freq and phase of 'received sound', the 'geometry' of our ear will have a effect on perception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back