Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crazy guys needs help :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice1505

Hi ,,,

I am a complete newbie , and need some help...

I have an crazy idea that i would like to try out , but i have no idea if it is possible within cost limitations , or how to do it...

Now the situation is like this.: :D

I have a pond in my yard... and in my pond lives my little turtle speedy...

Now my turtle loves to sit in the sun... and it has a special rock that it climbs onto when the sun shines on it... But the problems is that the sun moves rather fast away from the rock again, and even though i have put rocks in other places , IT JUST WONT USE OTHER ROCKS,,, or anything else for that matter... So,, i had an idea....

Would it be possible, make a mirror that moves automaticly with the sun ??? That is , when the sun stops shining on the rock , then the mirror would shift its position and make the sun direct on the rock again ???? some sort of laser guidance of some sort maybe ???

Any comment will be accepted , either jokes about the crazy guy trying to make his turtle warm , or just comments on how it might be possible...

And many thanx in advance..

:D:D:D

A solar tracking mirror arrangement is certainly do-able, but it seems to me that if Speedy wanted to stay warm, he would move around on his own to make that happen...
Jeff

A solar tracking mirror arrangement is certainly do-able, but it seems to me that if Speedy wanted to stay warm, he would move around on his own to make that happen...
Jeff

Ya , you would think that , but i now for a fact that turtles like speedy normally lay up to 8 hours in the sun if possible because they need the warmth to get energy , like charging batteries :D , and my vet also thinks it is a odd behavior that he only wants to use this one rock... and i should probably add that if i move this particular rock , he moves with it...

CRAZY TURLTLE.....

My grand parents had a dog that they said wouldn't eat unless someone was present. The went on vacation one time and I was put in charge of feeding the dog.:(
They said that hit would not eat unless I was around so I should stop by At least twice a day so the dog can eat. :(

The first day they were gone I filled the dog food dish full and left. I stopped by once a day and for three days the food dish never changed, so they were right. That dummy would not eat unless I was standing there! :eek:
I left again any way. Day four was it was still the same and the dog was getting thinner and rather whiney too.
But when I stopped by on day five that food dish was empty!;)
After that the retard never had a problem eating by it self! :)

My grandparents came back a couple of weeks later and saw the dog was now eating by itself.
They said; WOW! how did you do that? We have tried everything for years and it would not eat by itself.
I said; Did you ever just fill the dish and let the dumb ass just sit there by itself until it got hungry enough? :p:D:)

I think If you turtle is really cold it will eventually move.
If it dont and it dies just stop by my stream and you can have all the turtles you can catch!

Well in the interest of promoting turtle pleasure maybe you don't need an automated mirror?

Just a reflective device in the right spot so as the sun moves off the original angle it then shines via the "mirror" to give little Speedy an extra hour of TTT (turtle toasting time)...

Add a curve or a couple of facets to the mirror ansd you might get a couple of extra hours.

Just stop by the nearest lake, pond, stream, or river with a fishing net. You will probably end up with a better turtle for very little effort, or at least a buddy for the one you have.
Maybe he loves that rock because he is lonely! :(

Being a reptile heat does not affect turtles much. My cousin had a pet turtle and my aunt tried to kill it by leaving it out on the deck one night when it was very cold. It froze solid right on its favorite rock! :eek:

My cousin found it a week later still frozen solid and half buried in snow.
He put it in the garage to warm it up. My aunt and uncle had that talk with him about how things some times just die and its apart of life. :(
The turtle thawed out during the talk and when they went to have a funeral it was moving around like nothing had happened. :p
My cousin was happy but my aunt was not!:D:)

On an electronics site you might expect an electronic answer like this:

If you want to make your turtle happy, try it, let us know how it works out...

Last edited:
I breed reptiles [lizards not chelonia] and would advise against the use of 'hot rocks'. They have been known to cause fatal heat injuries to reptiles which, while they are great pets, are as thick as two short planks. :rolleyes:

I breed reptiles [lizards not chelonia] and would advise against the use of 'hot rocks'. They have been known to cause fatal heat injuries to reptiles which, while they are great pets, are as thick as two short planks. :rolleyes:

Ah but you see this is where hi tech shines.

We can use a uC to mange the rock.
Code will

• Turn rock off at night
  • Maintain rock temperature at safe levels
  • Learn when turtle uses rock to allow for preheating
  • Provide turtle with cold beer and goldfish (snacks)
  • Limit total on time to prevent addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back