Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

counting from 1 to 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
ericgibbs said:
hi hjames,

The LS193 is a synchronous counter, not a async/ripple thru counter.
Yes the counting is syncronous. That was never the issue. It is the LOAD(PL*, pin 11) and the RESET(MR, pin 14) which are asyncronous. It is difficult to make a counter with an asyncronous load behave properly in the OPs application. It is far superior to use a counter with a syncronous load. Just take my word for it and dispense with all the other claptrap.

i followed ericgibbs' design and its working quite well. you guys are amazing. thanks a lot!

Last edited:
hi papabravo

OK, let's cut the claptrap.

The OP has a 74LS193 which he wanted to count from 1 to 9, but it counted from 0 to 9.

No one is in disagreement about a fully synchronous counter being the ideal solution, but it is not the device he asked about.

I tried to satisfy his requirment to use the device he had to hand.

Which according to his last post has been successful.

As we are both engineers, we both know there are many solutions for the same problem.

Let's both go to our happy places.

Regards
Eric

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
Do you want to buy a few partly used 193's

James & Len,
I think we should write up some tutorials on 'remote viewing' techniques for decoding OP's requests.

I'll pass, thanks - I do a lot of FPGA work, and stuff like this would be *really* bad if it were dumped in a design with the equivalent of another 100K gates. Hence all the logic in there is bland 'n boring synchronous stuff.

Engineering work is mostly psychic work anyway. Trying to negotiate what a customer asks for and what a customer wants is always going to be a required part of the trade.

ericgibbs said:
hi papabravo

OK, let's cut the claptrap.

The OP has a 74LS193 which he wanted to count from 1 to 9, but it counted from 0 to 9.

No one is in disagreement about a fully synchronous counter being the ideal solution, but it is not the device he asked about.

I tried to satisfy his requirment to use the device he had to hand.

Which according to his last post has been successful.

As we are both engineers, we both know there are many solutions for the same problem.

Let's both go to our happy places.

Regards
Eric
I see no future in going to a happy place either pedagogically or practically. The other lesson here is that you can stubbornly insist on using the part you have instead of the part you need. My priorities have always been:

First make it work - you did that(kudos)
Second make it fast
Third make it elegant

The real goal here is to get to elegant without bothering with steps 1 & 2

n'est pas?

I too prefer an elegant solution to a problem.

But I also subscribe to the saying, 'good enough is perfect'.

Eric

Point to note, it is not my part, its the OP's. I would NOT have chosen that part had I being doing the project myself.

Last edited:
on the same subject of using the 74ls193, i have a project that requires me to use it in mod 10 as a down counter and i have managed to do so on the software proteas 8, but making the same connections on the breadboard is not caninging anyting its still counting from 15-0.please help i am stranded

on the same subject of using the 74ls193, i have a project that requires me to use it in mod 10 as a down counter and i have managed to do so on the software proteas 8, but making the same connections on the breadboard is not caninging anyting its still counting from 15-0.please help i am stranded

Please post your as built schematic and a picture of your breadboard assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back