Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

acy

Hi there,

I am reviewing some digital stuffs done about 10 years ego in order to take a more advanced courses in mid-january. I need some help: how can I design a counter that counts the number of times the number 5 appears in an 4-bit input stream.

Note: NumberIn : 4-bits wide (input)
Start: Reset counter and overflow flag to zero while start is high (input)
Count: 8-bit unsigned count (of the number of “5”s that have occurred since start went
low (output)
Overflow: Goes high if count overflows (count is unsigned, so you only need to monitor
the adder carry out) and stays high until reset is asserted.

Thank you.

acy.

OK thats an odd ball question. What would this be used for?

Decode the 4 bit stream with gates or a BCD to decimal counter and count the output with a counter chip.

Andy

That was quick!
I jsut find the question in the book. And I noticed that by doing it I would learn a little bit more. Could you give me some more explaination or just scratch something out for me. I need to undersdand and work it out step by steps.

Thank you Andy.

Input 4 bits to a 4028 - BCD to decimal (1-of-10) decoder. Use the 5th output only and count it with a SN74HC590 8 bit counter. Andy

Andy, sorry to ask you this but I was wondering if you could break it down to the gate level not the IC level because I really need to understand how to design it.

Thank you.

You need to design a simple gating circuit using NAND or NOR gates to detect 0101.

Then use the output to clock a counter. But you will need to avoid counting the decoding spikes.

See my gating paper attached.

Attachments

• Logic Circuits.pdf
    173.3 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back