Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cost Effective Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very interesting thread. Lots of ingenuity shown about how to adapt other sources of boxes and easy-to-get materials. My suggestion, below, is another enclosure maker, but I've found that they have good prices, were happy to send me free samples, and their products are good.

https://www.pactecenclosures.com/

I especially like their XP series with the rubber boot

**broken link removed**

Its a lot like the typical portable voltmeter case, the rubber boot is quite good and all at a good price.

chemelec said:
If you have any Plastic Suppliers in your area, go buy a 4 by 8 foot sheet of ABS Plastic.
It comes in Various Thickness and most common in Black or white color. (Sometimes in other colors)
.08 to .125 inch thickness is quite good for cases.
{snip}
QUOTE]
For smaller quantities go to a sign shop, they have much scrap that they love to get rid off. You can almost bet it will be free. I think their choice of material is vinyl but that should make no difference. You can work it like wood and any wood working tool will do, and the color doesn't matter you can always spray paint it.

Dollar stores are a good source of ultra cheap boxes, pill cases, paint pots, etc. I got a strip of 12 paint pots for $1 and just cut them apart. I built tiny circuit modules inside for use with my prototyping system. The have a little velcro pad on the bottom so I can mount them next to the breadboad and they will stay still while I run the wires.

3v0 said:
Does anyone know where to find a case similar to the one pictured below.

**broken link removed**

I think that's a gutted radioshack probe. they haven't sold those for a long time. How ever, you might be able to do something with a big fat novelty pen. Circuit board for it will be a bit tricky.

Cigarette lighters?

3v0 said:

**broken link removed**

Would two cigarette lighters bodies, glued end to end get you pretty close?
I am talking about the cheap plastic ones at the dollar store that cost about a buck, for two.
Or maybe a travel tooth brush holder?

Rolf

philba said:
I think that's a gutted radioshack probe. they haven't sold those for a long time. How ever, you might be able to do something with a big fat novelty pen. Circuit board for it will be a bit tricky.
You are correct. I was my hope that the case was not unique to RS.

It is for another copy of the SuperProbe design by Mondo Tech. This is the current PCB 1.2 by 3.2 inches. It has the LED display and two switches so getting it into a case is a bit tricky. If all else fails I may add a ICSP connector and coat it with epoxy putty.

Attachments

• ProbC.JPG
    ProbC.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,516
Here is a quick photo of my probe in a free toothbrush case. It is only 7/8 inch wide, but I think the one one can buy in the dollar store are a bit larger.
The hole for the LEDs was a quick hack because I needed to use the thing right away. If some time was taken, it could look much better.
The on switch can be used by pushing on the case.

Attachments

• probe.gif
    probe.gif
    449.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Paper Mache ...........

3v0 said:

**broken link removed**

If you must have a close fit, make a case of Paper Mache, it should be easy enough. First wrap your project with a couple of layers of freezer paper, plastic side out, tape to hold together. Then apply Paper Mache in the normal manner until you have a stiff enough tube, slide off, trim ends, sand and paint. The end caps can be made of plumbers epoxy putty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back