Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cordless Telephone to Phone Line Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible if I could use a cordless telephone as a way to connect a modem from a wireless location. Any insight into making this work will be helpful.

Block Diagram:

Telephone Jack >> Cordless Phone Base <<>> Cordless Phone handset >> US Robotics 56k v90 dialup modem.

This 'project' is so I can connect wirelessly to the internet using my laptop.

Harrison

buy a wireless router. you can find the whole setup for sometimes 50.00 for everything....look around! I know walmart carries them

Hi Harrison,
I have been looking for the very same thing. The telephone manufacturers are missing a good selling point by not including a jack on their headsets.
Have been looking at telephone schematics and they use a duplex (send/receive at the same time) system whereas a regular phone jack uses two wires (serial).
All the conversion is done by their send and receive circuitry in the handset and base. Maybe someone can help us. Al whitmire

alwhitmire said:
Hi Harrison,
I have been looking for the very same thing. The telephone manufacturers are missing a good selling point by not including a jack on their headsets.
Have been looking at telephone schematics and they use a duplex (send/receive at the same time) system whereas a regular phone jack uses two wires (serial).
All the conversion is done by their send and receive circuitry in the handset and base. Maybe someone can help us. Al whitmire

The performance would be pathetic, so it's not worth doing! - particularly in these days of ADSL and cheap wireles routers.

You could use an acoustic coupler to couple your modem to your phone handset. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to. Probably not good for much but it should work.

Attachments

• coupler.txt
    11 KB · Views: 178
Acoustic Phone coupler

Thanks a lot cybOrg777
I am going to try this device on an old computer (running Win 95) that resides in our kitchen without a phone connection.
Have all the stuff needed and it should be fun to build.
Again, Thanks
Al Whitmire

Hi

If you have Cellphones working, Laptop can accommodate using bluetooth- if i am right . you can have data from cellphones by arrangement with the provider. Land line phones can also be managed if the distance between the phone and Laptop. -- not cases where you try to retransmit by RF and send it a mile across formland.

As Nigel put it, one could go for ADSL with wireless routers.

You'd be lucky to get 9600 baud using an acoustically coupled cordless phone. I'm not even sure if most cordless phones are capable of truly full duplex operation.

Sceadwian said:
You'd be lucky to get 9600 baud using an acoustically coupled cordless phone. I'm not even sure if most cordless phones are capable of truly full duplex operation.

300 or 1200 baud is more likely!, historically acoustically coupled modem were either 300 baud or 1200/75 baud.

Acoustic coupler, ahhhh, nostalgia!

I last used one of those at 300baud on a Texas Silent 700 terminal as a remote access to a mainframe computer.
Over 25 years ago!

JimB

o phone basis and with direct modem dialing a call (no Phone instrument or acoustic), we are able to reach 19.6Kbpsway back in 1999-- so if tranformer coupling is adopted at the handset cable( instead of hand set, it would go to a jack where 2 matching transformers are wires to simulate mic and speaker) or a single hybrid formation (electronice 4wire to 2 wire conversion) this could be connected to the laptip interface.

The other parameters restricting the thro put would be network clock synchronisation of digital swithes maintained by the service providers from where your connection is taken.

perhaps you could achieve 9.6Kbps if not 19.6KBPS. It is a process for training only.

Last edited:
if your using a phone modem; then why not leave the model attached to the port, and just get a wireless printer port/serialle port transmitter and receiver.
Much easier and simpler to do

Hi
these are 4 wire modems- i.e., Tx and RX are on seperate paths. most probably RAD (an israel company) make.

hp said:
I was wondering if it is possible if I could use a cordless telephone as a way to connect a modem from a wireless location. Any insight into making this work will be helpful.

I believe this is what you need:

**broken link removed**

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised... I think I mis-interpreted your request - the dial-up router would be the best option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back