Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cop laser jammer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hrm... where to start...

i'm not an expert on the subject, but very few Jammers jam the signal, or send out a bunch of crap to block it. Cops will catch on very quickly as to what you are doing.

What most jammers actually do, is shift the phase of the incoming signal so when it bounces back, the timing is off and gives the cop a weird reading. This is why most 'jammers' are called "phase shifters".... I'm pretty sure that's what the passport one mentioned above does... of course, cops can catch on quickly for this too.

Detecting the signal, creating a new one, and sending back the fake one would techinically be impossible becuase of the propegation delay of electronics... it simply would not be fast enough.

On another note, if you ever get a ticket in the rain becuase of the radar reading, contest it. Your car has the same 'digital ID' or something weird like that as rain does... so, they can't get an accurate reading on you.

plot said:
On another note, if you ever get a ticket in the rain becuase of the radar reading, contest it. Your car has the same 'digital ID' or something weird like that as rain does... so, they can't get an accurate reading on you.

It might work in the USA, but not in the UK.

There was a famous case a few years back with a truck driver, trucks in the UK have a government calibrated and sealed recorder on board (called a tachograph), which records who many hours the driver has been driving, and it's speeds.

A trucker was prosecuted on radar gun evidence, despite the fact that his tachograph proved he hadn't been speeding, and that he provided certification that his tachograph was accurate.

The police called in an 'expert witness', who strangely enough was on the payroll of the company manufacturing the radar guns, he convinced the court that the radar gun was perfectly accurate and the trucker was convicted!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
plot said:

It might work in the USA, but not in the UK.

There was a famous case a few years back with a truck driver, trucks in the UK have a government calibrated and sealed recorder on board (called a tachograph), which records who many hours the driver has been driving, and it's speeds.

A trucker was prosecuted on radar gun evidence, despite the fact that his tachograph proved he hadn't been speeding, and that he provided certification that his tachograph was accurate.

The police called in an 'expert witness', who strangely enough was on the payroll of the company manufacturing the radar guns, he convinced the court that the radar gun was perfectly accurate and the trucker was convicted!.

wow, you'd think the defense would bring in a government official to vouch for the tachograph.

Here in the USA, in my state at least, the radar gun has to show the person going at least 6mph over the speed limit before they can pull them over for speeding... becuase of the inaccuracies of radar guns. Of course, as someone else mentioned, there's more to deciding if someone is speeding or not then basing the decision soley on the radar gun, such as personal observation.

In my state, you also have to be within 1/2 mile of the cop before he can radar you and pull you over, but this has to do more with positive vehicle identification then anything I think.

tom2000 said:
JohnBrown said:
Why is it that every w**ker in a car thinks that he (and it's almost always a "he") can drive safely at high speed?

because here in america we have good roads so we should be allowed to speed, you guys on a farm, i mean england, have crappy roads so you should always obey the speed limits
It may interest you to know that in the year the 9/11 tragedy claimed 3,000 lives, 40,000 died on the roads in the USA.
In the UK the figure is closer to 3,400.
With a poulation of 294,000,000 in the USA compared with 60,000,000 in the UK, I'd estimate that Americans are 2.38 times worse at driving that the English, and the English are pretty awful.

JohnBrown said:
With a poulation of 294,000,000 in the USA compared with 60,000,000 in the UK, I'd estimate that Americans are 2.38 times worse at driving that the English, and the English are pretty awful.

Do you have figures for France and Italy? 8)

yea i admit it . . . most americans are godawful drivers. i JUST got my permit and some jerk almost pulled out of a driveway in front o me!! fortunately he saw me b4 it was 2 late.

and then tailgaters . . . dont even get me started on tailgaters!!

zachtheterrible said:

if people pull out in front of me and go slow or don't go the speed limit, i tailgate the little .... :evil:

people going below the speed limit is one of my biggest pet peeves.

JohnBrown said:
It may interest you to know that in the year the 9/11 tragedy claimed 3,000 lives, 40,000 died on the roads in the USA.
In the UK the figure is closer to 3,400.

that must have been in california where everybody and their dog can get a driver's licence

plot said:
zachtheterrible said:

if people pull out in front of me and go slow or don't go the speed limit, i tailgate the little .... :evil:

Well done you! I'm sure that your public spirited behaviour helps to make the roads safer for everybody! Probably boosts the confidence of your victims, as well, and helps them to drive more safely.
You should be allowed to drive as fast as you like. Give evolution (if you're from Kansas you'll probably have to look this word up) a helping hand.
Note to self; don't visit California OR Kansas.

JohnBrown said:
plot said:
zachtheterrible said:

Well done you! I'm sure that your public spirited behaviour helps to make the roads safer for everybody! Probably boosts the confidence of your victims, as well, and helps them to drive more safely.
You should be allowed to drive as fast as you like. Give evolution (if you're from Kansas you'll probably have to look this word up) a helping hand.
Note to self; don't visit California OR Kansas.

I don't add 30 minutes into my daily routine while driving to compensate for idiots that can't go the speed limit. Which is why this pisses me off so much... I know there are situations when people go below the speed, but when in the fast lane with noone in front of you, people should have the common courtesy to get over. :evil:

I don't tailgate grandma in the nursing home parking lot or anything...

And no, I'm not from Kansas, I'm from Missouri.

Johnbrown, dont visit Pennsylvaina either, I do the same thing plot does.
I thought I was the only one that got annoyed by that.

jrz126 said:
Johnbrown, dont visit Pennsylvaina either, I do the same thing plot does.
I thought I was the only one that got annoyed by that.
I'd already worked that out for myself, thanks, I realize you'll be far too busy admiring the LED's in your headlining, burning out one by one, to pay any attention to driving! Added to which you'll probably be deaf soon. If there's one thing I can't tolerate it's other people's intolerance. :evil:

The led's aren't distracting. just wait until I get the fog machine in there. then it will be alittle distracting. The led's arent gonna burn out. I'm doing this project right this time, so the leds should last for a long time.
It'll be awhile before I go deaf to the point of not being able to hear, and I'll probably get cancer way before that happens.

I may have some distractions in my car, but atleast I'm not driving drunk like everyone else my age.

jrz

Jrz seriously be nice man. First thing jrz your stereo isn't pushing 2.14 horsepower. Yes you can figure out the energy put out by your system and convert it to the equivelant hp but that doesn't mean its actually putting out horsepower. And second the fact that your not drinking and driving is a good thing but i am willing to bet theres a lot more people than you think that don't drink and drive. I bet most of your friends won't admit to being scared of driving after they drink. And a fog maching in your car will get you pulled over no matter what state your in. Its a serious hindrance to your driving and thus completely unsafe.

Pull over !!!

OK guys :!:
This thread is supposed to discuss 'laser jammer' ideas
it appears to be devolving into a trans-Atlantic cat fight. [bite tongue - avoid joining in]

Maybe there should be another thread for 'intercontinental bitching' :?:

Re: Pull over !!!

mechie said:
OK guys :!:
This thread is supposed to discuss 'laser jammer' ideas
it appears to be devolving into a trans-Atlantic cat fight. [bite tongue - avoid joining in]

Maybe there should be another thread for 'intercontinental bitching' :?:

YOU ALL SUCK YOU DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD BLAH BLAH BLAH

:lol: :wink:

plot said:

Interesting word 'WRONG', we have a sound historical reason for driving on the left - why do you drive on the right?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
plot said:

Interesting word 'WRONG', we have a sound historical reason for driving on the left - why do you drive on the right?.

More people are right handed, easier to shift with your right hand, so more control over the car. This doesn't really matter with automatics now, but I still drive a stick.

plot said:
More people are right handed, easier to shift with your right hand, so more control over the car. This doesn't really matter with automatics now, but I still drive a stick.

I would suspect that reason makes driving on the left more sensible?, giving you more control over the car as your right hand is still on the wheel - you don't need more control on the gear lever!.

BTW, automatics are fairly uncommon over here, I've never even driven one (and have no wish to do so) - as an ex-biker, I like changing gear :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
plot said:

I would suspect that reason makes driving on the left more sensible?, giving you more control over the car as your right hand is still on the wheel - you don't need more control on the gear lever!.

BTW, automatics are fairly uncommon over here, I've never even driven one (and have no wish to do so) - as an ex-biker, I like changing gear :lol:

In all honesty though, it doesn't take to much to steer... I can steer with my knee for considerable distances (not saying I make a practice of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back