Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cool job interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it comes from very ancient times when you only docked your boat while in "port" on the "port" side because the rudder was on the starboard side of the vessel instead of the middle as in modern ships. Originally, "port" was called larboard but this was too easily confused with starboard when shouted into a gale force wind. A port hole was probably only opened while in "port" to avoid sinking in heavy seas.

Last edited:
Hank Fletcher said:
Now, why are portholes round?

There are no corners to seal. John

BTW, "port" has a second, perfectly good meaning, namely an access point. You know, porta and portb, view portal, etc.

jpanhalt said:
BTW, "port" has a second, perfectly good meaning, namely an access point. You know, porta and portb, view portal, etc.
I think that's it. If you look up the etymology of "port", you get;
1. The Latin "portus", which means harbor.
2. The Latin "porta", which means gate or door.

This site seems to say that "porthole" was derived from "porta", which makes sense to me.

You got it. A nice dinner with a little Port to finish it off will get you access.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back