Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cool job interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, your boss sounds like he's in a nice position, but I wouldn't say that spending half my time in meetings is a good thing, and 6 figures is anything over $100K, not really a big deal.

quixotron said:
slow and steady wins the race. cheney is a great example. the guy will retire filthy rich.
Why doesn't it surprise me that you would admire Cheney? :rolleyes:
Hank Fletcher said:
I'm hoping to join the army here soon
Join the Navy. You'll live longer. :)

kchriste said:
Why doesn't it surprise me that you would admire Cheney? :rolleyes:

Join the Navy. You'll live longer. :)

I was going to say the airforce. :) but i'd avoid serving altogether. i'd refer to design military hardware instead.

Airforce would be OK as a COM/RADAR tech, though you tend to lose your hearing. Hank just doesn't strike me as someone who would follow an order to kill without question. But maybe I'm wrong.

Hank Fletcher said:
That'd be my preference, and the Navy tends to have great bands, but the local Artillery needs a trombone player!

Yeah, just don't drop the soap!

And sleep on your back!

kchriste said:
Hank just doesn't strike me as someone who would follow an order to kill without question. But maybe I'm wrong.
I don't think that's something you can know for sure until you're given the opportunity. As an ensemble musician (i.e. under the direction of a conductor), I'm use to following directions without question in the moment. There's always time for reflection after the fact.

As a bandsman, it's highly unlikely that I'll ever see combat, despite the requirement that I still take training for such. There'd have to be conscription in our country, or something close to, before they'd start sending trombone players to the frontlines. Still, I look forward to serving Canada in whatever capacity is best fit for me to do so, and if that means keeping up morale with supporting services here or abroad (e.g. Remembrance Day memorials, mess dinner occasions), so be it.

quixotron said:
Yeah, just don't drop the soap!

And sleep on your back!
You've confused the Navy with The Village People. I still love the unofficial motto of the U.S. Navy, and have made it my own: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

Hank Fletcher said:
I don't think that's something you can know for sure until you're given the opportunity. As an ensemble musician (i.e. under the direction of a conductor), I'm use to following directions without question in the moment. There's always time for reflection after the fact.

As a bandsman, it's highly unlikely that I'll ever see combat, despite the requirement that I still take training for such. There'd have to be conscription in our country, or something close to, before they'd start sending trombone players to the frontlines. Still, I look forward to serving Canada in whatever capacity is best fit for me to do so, and if that means keeping up morale with supporting services here or abroad (e.g. Remembrance Day memorials, mess dinner occasions), so be it.

You've confused the Navy with The Village People. I still love the unofficial motto of the U.S. Navy, and have made it my own: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

If you decide to go, go for officers corp, don't enlist. unless you are very bright academic-wise and have a good personality with everyone, you'll be doing manual labor.

The only benefits I see in the service for me, is VA healthcare, reduced interest student/house/car loans, college credit for certain courses and the ability to get your security clearance much faster than civilians do.

But I think i'll score far more in the private sector. It'll just take me a bit longer to get my security clearance.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I don't suppose "don't ask such stupid questions" would go down too well?.
That depends, they might also give you credit for being honest and not taking any bull.

quixotron said:
4: kiss your bosses @$$. work extra hard for him, stay late at work to please someone if they ask or want it and do whatever they tell you to do with a smile.
Nonsense.

Just do that (within reason) for the first couple of months until you probationary period ends.

Seriously though, if you don't stick up for yourself you'll soon become the boss's little dogsbody and get given all the crappy jobs.

For example, I've not been bust for the last nine months at work so the managers have been giving me various crappy jobs which is fair enough most of the time but they did take it too far once. They wanted me to work with site services going round the premises measuring the buildings and drawing them in AutoCAD for the next four months. I told them I'm not doing it because I haven't had any AutoCAD training, they then said I'd soon learn so I told them that I'm an electrical engineer and it isn't in my job description.

You need to strike a ballance, on one hand you want to please your boss but on the other hand you don't want him/her to push you around. My advise is work hard, go the extra mile but at the same time be assertive and don't let them be unreasonable.

5: Are you a religous man? Pray to the lord, love him above all else, keep his commandments and minister the gospel. ask anything of him(thats within his guidelines) and he will give it to you. This is the most important advice I can give you.
If you want to pray, that's fine but I advise you to save the preaching for church and not take it to work.

Another reason manhole covers are round: It allows more workers to stand around and watch the one person doing something in the hole.

If they were square or triangular, there might be a temptation to limit the number of supervisors to just four or three, respectively. With a round hole, the supervisors can all be of equal status. I was struck with this particular insight as some workers were addressing a problem with the storm drains in front of my house this morning. John

You can't call them manholes anymore as it isn't very politically correct. You have to call them inspection covers or something equally silly.

Hero999 said:
You can't call them manholes anymore as it isn't very politically correct. You have to call them inspection covers or something equally silly.

yea they will probably say its offensive to the female populs to exclude them from entering these holes...

Yeah, and womanhole cover somehow just doesn't sound like it would be a big hit with the ladies.

quixotron said:
yeah womanhole sounds sick, it sounds like something else.

and just advoid further misunderstandings and offence we will have two erm... holes one next to the other clearly marked womanhole and manhole and I bet there will be a row about wich is to go on the left and which on the right

Thunderchild said:
and just advoid further misunderstandings and offence we will have two erm... holes one next to the other clearly marked womanhole and manhole and I bet there will be a row about wich is to go on the left and which on the right

HAHA! I'd push someone down the womanhole anyways. :D

Why is it called a manhole in the first place and not a sewer hole or just a hole? I always just called it "the sewer" growing up. Had to fish some keys out of it once. That was hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back