Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Kind of scared I'm going to jinx myself by announcing it before I start, but I'm so pleased! :D
I start work as a Field Service Engineer next week for an EPOS company. First proper job since 2010, been casual and contracting since then until now. Deep joy...

Congratulations, all the best to you!

Thanks guys :)
JimB, it is the same company who own the van I wrote down the number off the side of, the reason I went to Cerco in the first place! Though actually I got a call out of the blue from an agent who found my CV on CVLibrary to see if I was interested in a vacancy they had. Didn't get the original job - came a very close second, but when they had another vacancy a few weeks later, the agent rang me again and said they were asking for me if I was still interested. Of course I said yes! I've actually done a bit of contract work for them too, think that helped.
Cowboybob, tell me about it! Been having to go weeks with no work, having to get a day here and a day there, while the bank gets hammered, then suddenly _everyone_ wants to hire me for big projects, of course I can only work on one at a time, have to pick what works out best, start dates get put back and back and back so I find I've refused one project only to find I'm out of work waiting for another to start. End up pissing people off if I'm not careful (happened this year). Contracting is fun, but I really need that steady income...

Well done. Hope you still find the time to call in at ETO ;)

Nice news to read and congratulations are in order. Hope the new position works out well for you and best wishes for the future with the new company.

Ron

Hi Throb

Brilliant news, Congratulations.
I hope it turns out to be all you want it to be and more .. .. Well Done

S

Congratulations! I too just began a new job (on February 9th) that is my first real job (not a temporary position) in several years. I'm now working as a PCB designer for Fujifilm.

It's always exciting to get a new job that you know you'll enjoy ;)

Best of luck to you!
Regards,
Matt

Congratulations and I hope you will enjoy every minute in your new job.
I just like to mention the other side of the coin; I'm self made retired for more than 15 years now, it is great not to work and I enjoy every day despite being poor, I recommend it to all my friends. If many of us will do it then the world economy will be fixed.
From the age of 30 I've built my early retirement to be at the age of 55. When I was 48 I couldn't tolerate the racists at work harassing me for being a foreigner stealing their jobs. When they started to sabotage my work I left. They were right all along, the firm hired 3 engineers to replace me.

... the firm hired 3 engineers to replace me.

Wow, you must have been doing a heck of a job if they had to hire 3 engineers just to make up for your departure ;)

the firm hired 3 engineers to replace me.

I'm surprised they didn't contract with you at three times your salary. I hope you kept an engineering notebook to demonstrate someone sabotaged your work.

I'm surprised they didn't contract with you at three times your salary. I hope you kept an engineering notebook to demonstrate someone sabotaged your work.
There were 2 partners running the medium size firm. They both knew about the sabotage, they called it "back stubbing" or in London slang "Eastenders". They tried to stop it first in the nice way and then by force. All methods only made matters worth. After I gave my notice we agreed on a temporary solution that I work freelancing from home to help the new team. After 2 years they thought that the dust is settled and I was offered to come back. I didn't accept the offer because I leant that it is better to be poor than working with knifes stuck in your back. The whole problem started when one of the bosses told the chief engineer that I'm gonna take some of the load from his hand. He worried about his position and rallied all the racists who worried about the invasion of the foreigners. I personally think that some of their worried are justified. Of course bosses are more concerned with profit and this causes clashes.

How sad. I'm lucky enough never to have worked around overt racists - and my skin isn't a colour that would attract negative attention like that. Just wish I could retire early like you - spent too many years bumming around for that though!

Good luck with the new job - I'm on my last week with my current job - loved the work and got on really well with everyone but a series of unfortunate circumstances meant I had to hand my notice in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back