Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting hdmi to dvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothwell

i'm trying to hook my ps3 up to my computer monitor. i bought a hdmi->dvi converter... when i turn on my ps3, my monitor detects that there's input, but the screen is just black. i've searched all over the internet to find answers for this... but none seem to solve my problem. my monitor is a hanns-g jw197d, 16:10 ratio, max resolution of 1440x940. what could the problem be if the ps3 is outputting correctly and the monitor can at least tell that there's an incoming signal?

if this converter has been working, with other monitor, then you need an svga monitor. in other words your monitor's resolution is not supported. you can also try other products of monitor.

Try to connect your PS3 to one of the analogue inputs and then configure it to output 480p on the hdmi output (lowest possible resolution). Then connect using the hdmi/dvi and check if you see anything. You can then try to up the resolution to 720p or some other custom resolution.

I don't have a ps3, but my xbox360 was fussy about its hdmi cable. I had a super cheap cable that worked fine between my laptop and pc monitor, but didn't work between my xbox and lcd.

What I have read is that you need an actually converter cable. One with some sort of circuity, not just one with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other.

What I have read is that you need an actually converter cable. One with some sort of circuity, not just one with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other.

DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing, except HDMI does sound as well. A simple cable is all that's required, or an HDMI lead with a DVI/HDMI adaptor on the end.

However, DVI has both digital and analogue versions, but most DVI sockets should accept either.

I would agree that the most likely problem is the resolution setting.

well, i hooked it up to my tv via hdmi, and set it to 480i, still doesn't work. i would try to hook it up to another monitor... but the other monitors in my house aren't widescreen, and i heard it only works with widescreen... or i wonder if they meant that you should only use widescreen or else the stretch would be terrible.. maybe it still displays though
EDIT: so i tried hooking my ps3 to the other 2 monitors in the house, one of them had the same problem as my widescreen monitor; detected a signal, but had a lit up but black screen. the other monitor didn't detect a signal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back