Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert Wireless Keyboard to Wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BL4CKB4NN3R

Hello everybody, i came across this forum on google, and it seems to be very useful and informative.

I wanted to post my plan here to get some advice etc., instead of posting on a random computer forum and having five 16 year olds call me stupid and not explain why this wouldn't be possible (if it's not). Most people so far in my search have suggested to other people to just go out and buy a wired keyboard. The keyboard I have in my plan here is probably a $30-50 keyboard, and besides I would love the experience of actually making this work.

Anyways, i came across a used Logitech wireless keyboard in Goodwill, and of course there was no receiver. I was wondering if it would at all be possible to convert it to a standard wired keyboard via USB connection.

My guess would be to come out from the keyboard output of the actual circuit board itself, and bypass the wireless module (batteries, transmitter) then to the USB port on the PC.

I don't have the keyboard yet, since i didn't want to commit to the $4.99 to buy it yet if it wasn't going to be possible. Of course, i do not have the exact model of the keyboard right now, but I'm not really looking for specific instructions right now - just thoughts, ideas, prior knowledge, etc.

I have some basic soldering experience, since i repair electronics on guitars often.

Thanks!

$30-$50 wireless keyboards are $5-$10 keyboards with radio transmitters and a base unit.

The high end wireless tend towards the higher quality, but you can get the better quality in a wired keyboard by being selective.

Well, i'm really just trying to get a general idea of how much is involved. If it is something that will take days of work then i wouldn't do it. If it's something that would require like $10-$15 in parts, and like 5-10 hours i would probably go for it. It would be for the experience more than having the wired keyboard.

Depending on what the computer techs around here say, thats probably what it would take. Seeing as the wireless module is just a link, all you would need to do is bridge that link with your hardwire and bypass the wireless module.

A good start would be to check if there is a datasheet for your keyboard online somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back